1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of the integral

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i am studyng, for my multivariable calculus course, and i get this integral, the problem is, i dont know how the simplify the integral that way.

2. Relevant equations
    i will put the integral in a very HD screen shoot, yes a litle one not the entire screen calculo.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    i used the symetrical property of definite integrals, and get stuck when i check the simplification they did in the book, i need help to know how to continue, or what property they used. i got the second line OK, then to the thirth line i got stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2
    you can try substitution method.
    hint convert it to sqrt(1+z^2) dz and then apply substitution.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    hi tanks for the answer, but if i do the sustitution how the 1/d ends out of the integral?

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4
    sorry 1/p

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    do not worry as you are integrating over x.

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6
    forgot it i have done z=x/2p
    dz=1/2p
    then... 2(1/2p)=1/p outside
    now my doubt is how to make squart 4p2 + x2??????

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7
    ok now i got 1/p∫√(1+z2)dz how i should proceed to make that into this 1/p∫√(4p2+x2)dx
    its like somehow, they put the (x/2p)2=x2/4p2 into a sum, but only happens in logaritm properties

9. Apr 7, 2016 #8
    actually the idea is to get a standard form and then use the results from table of integrals

10. Apr 7, 2016 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens when you put ##1 + (\frac{x}{2p})^2## over a common denominator? That's the step you're missing: how to add a fraction to a whole number.

11. Apr 10, 2016 #10
    Hi, so you mean 2p/2p +(x/2p)^2??

12. Apr 10, 2016 #11
    thanks for reply

13. Apr 10, 2016 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Close, but you want to get the quantity ##(\frac{x}{2p})^2## added to 1.

14. Apr 10, 2016 #13
    Well, following your previous hint, a way to add a fraction number, to a whole y should do the following: 1 + x^2/4p^2=(4p^2+x^2)/4p^2
    It's ok?

15. Apr 10, 2016 #14

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks OK. You should be able to simplify the original integral as shown.

16. Apr 10, 2016 #15
    Oh my god it was so obvious, many thanks now looks like squareroot((1/4p^2)(4p^2 +x^)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted