1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Thiazole

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    I am learning Chemistry from one book and I have bumped onto a following image with given tasks:

IOQo7.jpg

What is the balanced reaction?
    What is the RMM of thiazole?
    What is the fuel-air mass ratio?
    What is the oxygen depletion?
    What is the yield of CO2?
    What is the yield of H2O?
    What is the yield of N2?
    For ideal combustion, what is the yield of carbon-monoxide?

Now, aformentioned product is Thiazole( checked on wiki ) and products of combustion are carbon dioxide, water, hydrogen sulphide (H2S) and nitrogen. Now how can I solve this matter having in mind following data that air is consisted of 21% O2 and 79% of N2.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Of what?

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3
    Of Thiazole.

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4

Borek

There is no such thing as "balanced reaction of thiazole". Reaction equation describes a process (reaction), not the substance.

What is the reaction of water?

6. Mar 10, 2014 #5
    So is it more appropriate to say "the balanced equation" then?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  7. Mar 11, 2014 #6

Borek

No, you must name the PROCESS, not the substance.

What is the balanced reaction equation of water?

8. Mar 11, 2014 #7
    Of Thiamin 1?

H_2 + 20_2 --> 2H_2O

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  9. Mar 11, 2014 #8

Borek

This is not "reaction of water", this is reaction of SYNTHESIS of water. Or of hydrogen burning in oxygen.

It is not balanced, but let's not be that nitpicky.

10. Mar 11, 2014 #9
    OK, can you give me balanced reaction then? Of water and thiazole? I can see you know a lot about this thing.

11. Mar 12, 2014 #10

Borek

While thiazole does react with water, it is most likely irrelevant to the question.

12. Mar 12, 2014 #11
    Thiazole doesn't react with a water. Yes, I agree it is completely irrelevant to Q1.

13. Mar 12, 2014 #12

Borek

It is a weak Bronsted-Lowry base, it reacts with water producing slightly alkaline solutions.

I am less and less convinced you are interested in solving the original question.

14. Mar 12, 2014 #13
    More and more I am convinced you are trying to detour me on my path of learning! Why do you mention water at all?

15. Mar 12, 2014 #14

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like the book did not ask the questions properly, or perhaps you left something out when you posted your questions.

A reaction must involve more than one substance, so asking for "the balanced reaction of thiazole" makes no sense. There must be other substances involved in order for there to be any reaction.

Here are some guesses: the question might be asking about the reaction for the synthesis of thiazole (involving other substances used to make it), OR it might be asking about the combustion reaction for thiazole (where it reacts with oxygen to form other substances as products), OR it might be about something else entirely.

Since the question, as you posted it, did not specify a reaction, people are trying to figure out what is really being asked. If you can check the book again, and see if the question provides any other information that is missing from your posts, you are more likely to get help in answering your question.

I think he meant it as an example; your answer to his question might have helped us figure out what the question is really supposed to be. Your answer was about the synthesis of water, which is a hint that the book's question might be asking about the synthesis of thiazole. BUT -- the book's question also mentioned combustion, which is a hint that the question might really be asking about thiazole combustion (reacting with oxygen).

So, respectfully, we are simply confused as to how to help you based on the limited information (so far) given in these posts.

16. Mar 25, 2014 #15
    The question is: Thiazole combusts in air to give carbon dioxide, water, hydrogen sulphide and nitrogen. Write the balanced equation:

Answer:

4C3H3NS + 13O2 →12CO2+2H2 O+4H2S+2N2

Just that!!!!

NB: combustion takes place with Oxygen only! other compounds in air are thus 'useless' in the combustion.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  17. Mar 25, 2014 #16

Borek

You won't get H2S in the combustion products.

18. Mar 25, 2014 #17
    Haha. You will! Alternatively, give me the ideal combustion equation of thiazole in air.... Such a reply would be more helpful than simply saying what will not be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted