Properties of Thiazole: Balancing Reactions, Yields & Mass Ratios

• Thread starter Eva Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the balanced equation for the combustion of thiazole in air is 4C3H3NS + 13O2 →12CO2+2H2 O+4H2S+2N2.
Eva Brain
I am learning Chemistry from one book and I have bumped onto a following image with given tasks:

IOQo7.jpg

What is the balanced reaction?
What is the RMM of thiazole?
What is the fuel-air mass ratio?
What is the oxygen depletion?
What is the yield of CO2?
What is the yield of H2O?
What is the yield of N2?
For ideal combustion, what is the yield of carbon-monoxide?

Now, aformentioned product is Thiazole( checked on wiki ) and products of combustion are carbon dioxide, water, hydrogen sulphide (H2S) and nitrogen. Now how can I solve this matter having in mind following data that air is consisted of 21% O2 and 79% of N2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eva Brain said:
What is the balanced reaction?

Of what?

Borek said:
Of what?

Of Thiazole.

There is no such thing as "balanced reaction of thiazole". Reaction equation describes a process (reaction), not the substance.

What is the reaction of water?

So is it more appropriate to say "the balanced equation" then?

Last edited:
No, you must name the PROCESS, not the substance.

What is the balanced reaction equation of water?

Borek said:
No, you must name the PROCESS, not the substance.

What is the balanced reaction equation of water?

Of Thiamin 1?

H_2 + 20_2 --> 2H_2O

Last edited:
This is not "reaction of water", this is reaction of SYNTHESIS of water. Or of hydrogen burning in oxygen.

It is not balanced, but let's not be that nitpicky.

Borek said:
This is not "reaction of water", this is reaction of SYNTHESIS of water. Or of hydrogen burning in oxygen.

It is not balanced, but let's not be that nitpicky.

OK, can you give me balanced reaction then? Of water and thiazole? I can see you know a lot about this thing.

While thiazole does react with water, it is most likely irrelevant to the question.

Borek said:
While thiazole does react with water, it is most likely irrelevant to the question.

Thiazole doesn't react with a water. Yes, I agree it is completely irrelevant to Q1.

It is a weak Bronsted-Lowry base, it reacts with water producing slightly alkaline solutions.

I am less and less convinced you are interested in solving the original question.

Borek said:
It is a weak Bronsted-Lowry base, it reacts with water producing slightly alkaline solutions.

I am less and less convinced you are interested in solving the original question.

More and more I am convinced you are trying to detour me on my path of learning! Why do you mention water at all?

It looks like the book did not ask the questions properly, or perhaps you left something out when you posted your questions.

A reaction must involve more than one substance, so asking for "the balanced reaction of thiazole" makes no sense. There must be other substances involved in order for there to be any reaction.

Here are some guesses: the question might be asking about the reaction for the synthesis of thiazole (involving other substances used to make it), OR it might be asking about the combustion reaction for thiazole (where it reacts with oxygen to form other substances as products), OR it might be about something else entirely.

Since the question, as you posted it, did not specify a reaction, people are trying to figure out what is really being asked. If you can check the book again, and see if the question provides any other information that is missing from your posts, you are more likely to get help in answering your question.

Eva Brain said:
Why do you mention water at all?
I think he meant it as an example; your answer to his question might have helped us figure out what the question is really supposed to be. Your answer was about the synthesis of water, which is a hint that the book's question might be asking about the synthesis of thiazole. BUT -- the book's question also mentioned combustion, which is a hint that the question might really be asking about thiazole combustion (reacting with oxygen).

So, respectfully, we are simply confused as to how to help you based on the limited information (so far) given in these posts.

Likes 1 person
The question is: Thiazole combusts in air to give carbon dioxide, water, hydrogen sulphide and nitrogen. Write the balanced equation:

Answer:

4C3H3NS + 13O2 →12CO2+2H2 O+4H2S+2N2

Just that!

NB: combustion takes place with Oxygen only! other compounds in air are thus 'useless' in the combustion.

Last edited:
You won't get H2S in the combustion products.

Haha. You will! Alternatively, give me the ideal combustion equation of thiazole in air... Such a reply would be more helpful than simply saying what will not be.

1. What is thiazole and why is it important in chemistry?

Thiazole is a heterocyclic compound that contains a five-membered ring with three carbon atoms and two nitrogen atoms. It is important in chemistry because it is a versatile building block for the synthesis of various pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials.

2. How do thiazoles participate in balancing reactions?

Thiazoles can act as both nucleophiles and electrophiles, making them useful in balancing reactions. They can undergo substitution reactions, addition reactions, and condensation reactions, allowing for the balancing of reactants and products.

3. What is the yield in thiazole reactions and how is it determined?

The yield in thiazole reactions refers to the amount of desired product obtained in a reaction. It is determined by calculating the mass of the product obtained divided by the theoretical maximum mass of product that could be obtained.

4. How can mass ratios be used to optimize thiazole reactions?

Mass ratios can be used to determine the optimal amount of reactants to use in a thiazole reaction. By calculating the mass ratio of reactants, scientists can ensure that the reaction is balanced and efficient, leading to a higher yield of product.

5. What factors can affect the properties of thiazole in reactions?

The properties of thiazole in reactions can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the substituents attached to the ring, the reaction conditions (temperature, pressure, solvent), and the presence of catalysts. These factors can influence the reactivity and selectivity of thiazole in a reaction.