1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of vectors

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A surveyor measures the distance across a straight river by the following method:starting directly across from a tree on the opposite bank, she walks 100m along the riverbank to establish a baseline. Then she sights across a tree. The angle from her baseline to the tree is 35.0(degree). How wide is the river?

2. Relevant equations
    I think this is a resultant vector problem. Where R(x)=A(x)+B(x), R(y)=A(y)+B(y). Then, Ill take the magnitude of both (R(x)+R(y))^1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

What I stated above is what I thought a solution, but Im stuck at the word "wide"? Not sure if Im on the right direction.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is geometry/trig problem, not a vector problem. Draw yourself a diagram and you'll find a right triangle.

Looks like lylos drew one for you!

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    So how can i even go about solving this problem, if its a right triangle formula? This homework question was in the vector chapter of the book

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To solve many vector problems, you need to know about right triangles. This should be an easier problem than many vector ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?