Properties slurry/slush

• Thread starter Claws
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, there is available research on the properties of ice-water slurries, but it can be challenging to find and interpret. The viscosity and specific heat capacity of an ice-water slurry depend on the solids loading and temperature, and may require experimentation to determine exact values.
Claws
Hi - I'm trying to set up a small calculation comparing running glycol/water vs ice slurry, water/ice ratio not known yet but initially why not 60/40, in a closed loop.

However, a quick search on google does not clarify much on the properties of an ice/water slurry, as far as I can tell, the 'rheology' of said matter is not that well understood.

Are there such a thing as approximated numbers for Cp, viscosity etc. for a ice-water slurry?

A colleague of mine suggested using slurry in a cooling loop, instead of glycol-water, and I'm just trying to run the initial numbers - don't come down on me too hard :)

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
.There is certainly some research out there on the properties of ice-water slurries, though it can be difficult to find and interpret. Generally, the viscosity of an ice-water slurry increases with increasing solids loading (amount of ice in the water) and decreases with increasing temperature. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of an ice-water slurry increases with increasing solids loading, but decreases with increasing temperature. As far as exact values, it depends on the precise composition of the slurry, so you may need to conduct experiments to determine these values.

1. What is a slurry/slush?

A slurry/slush is a mixture of a liquid and solid particles. The liquid component is usually water, and the solid particles can vary in size and composition depending on the application.

2. How is a slurry/slush created?

A slurry/slush is created by mixing the solid particles with the liquid component. This can be done by either adding the solid particles to the liquid or vice versa, depending on the desired consistency.

3. What are the common properties of a slurry/slush?

A slurry/slush typically has a high viscosity, meaning it is thick and resistant to flow. It may also have a high density due to the presence of solid particles, and can exhibit shear-thinning behavior, which means it becomes less viscous when stirred or agitated.

4. What are the applications of slurry/slush?

Slurry/slushes have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in construction for grouting and concrete mixing, in mining for transporting and processing ores, and in food and beverage production for creating smooth and creamy textures.

5. How can the properties of a slurry/slush be altered?

The properties of a slurry/slush can be altered by changing the ratio of solid particles to liquid, as well as the type and size of the solid particles. Other factors such as temperature and the addition of chemicals can also affect the properties of a slurry/slush.