Proving Uniform Continuity on a Closed Bounded Interval

• Thread starter irony of truth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the continuity of a function on a closed bounded interval [a,b] implies that it is uniformly continuous on that interval. This can be proven using concepts such as compactness, Heine-Borel theorem, metric spaces, sequences and series. One approach is to assume that the function is not uniformly continuous and construct a sequence with no limit point in [a,b]. This is impossible, as it contradicts the continuity of the function. Another approach is to use the trick of subdivision, where an infinite number of points can be found in each subinterval of length 1/10, leading to the construction of an infinite decimal and ultimately, a contradiction.
irony of truth
How do I prove that when a function f is continuous on a closed bounded interval [a,b], it is uniformly continuous on that interval?

Actually, I have found some proofs to this but I have not tackled about compact, Heine-Borel theorem, metric spaces, sequences and series, etc. in my class..

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof I have uses Heine-Borel, so I assume you won't be interested in that one.

I do doubt thought that you would be able to rigourously proof it without any of the concepts or theorems you mentioned, unless you're just interested in explaining it, the difference between 'normal' and 'uniform' continuity.

Last edited:
Suppose it is not unifromly continuous, construct a sequence with no limit point in [a,b] surely you know enough abuot sequences to be able to konw that that is impossible? (no one does continuity before sequences, surely?)

Thank you for the help...

you can make matt's proof concrete by the trick of subdivision. I.e. on the interval [0,1] if you have an infinite collection of points then there is an infinite number of them in some subinterv of length 1/10, say between .1 and .2.

Then ther is also an infinite num=ber of them between say .11 and .12.

and so on. Eventually (after an infinite number of steps) you construct an infinite decimkal, i.e. a real number, with an infinite number of these points in every neighborhood.

Since the infinite sequence was chosen in the beginning to be points hwere the function was "less and less continuous" i.e. needing bigger and bigger delta for a given epsilon, you deduce that your function is not continuous at all at the coinstructed point. a contradiction.

What is the property of continuity?

The property of continuity is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics that states that a function is continuous if there are no sudden or abrupt changes in its values. In other words, the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. This property is essential in understanding and modeling real-world phenomena.

Why is the property of continuity important?

The property of continuity is crucial in many fields, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to make predictions and analyze complex systems by using mathematical models. In addition, many physical laws and principles, such as the conservation of energy, rely on the assumption of continuity.

How can we determine if a function is continuous?

There are several ways to determine if a function is continuous. One method is to check if the function is defined at every point in its domain and if the limit of the function exists at each point. Another approach is to analyze the graph of the function and look for any sudden changes or breaks. Lastly, we can use the intermediate value theorem to verify if the function is continuous on a closed interval.

What are the consequences of a function not being continuous?

If a function is not continuous, it means that there are abrupt changes or breaks in its values. This can lead to incorrect predictions and models in real-world applications. In mathematics, a function that is not continuous at a point is considered to have a discontinuity at that point, which can affect the behavior of the function in that region.

Can a function have a discontinuity and still be considered continuous?

No, a function cannot have a discontinuity and be considered continuous. The property of continuity requires a function to be defined and have a limit at every point in its domain. A discontinuity indicates a break in the function, which violates the definition of continuity.