Proving the Property of Logarithms: Examples with Exponents

Thanks for catching that!In summary, the conversation discusses using logarithms to simplify equations and confirms that the technique of taking the natural log of both sides can be used for differentiation. However, there is a typo in the equation and it should be ln x^{2/x} = \frac{2 ln(x)}{x} instead of \frac{2}{x}x. The original poster has already acknowledged and corrected the mistake.
Nano-Passion
Edit: I answered my own question, I guess this thread serves no purpose so mods, you can delete this.

y = x^2
ln y = ln x^2
ln y = 2 ln x

Can we do the same thing with:

[tex] y = x^{2/x}[/tex]
[tex] ln y = ln x^{2/x} [/tex]
[tex] ln y = \frac{2}{x} x[/tex]

Would that be correct? I just want to make sure because I used this technique for differentiation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't: [tex] ln y = \frac{2}{x} x[/tex] just make it 2 :p

But from what I remember about logs, yes you can do that..

The OP might have already figured this out, but [itex]ln x^{2/x} = \frac{2 ln(x)}{x}[/itex], not [itex]\frac{2}{x}x[/itex]. Typo maybe?

gb7nash said:
The OP might have already figured this out, but [itex]ln x^{2/x} = \frac{2 ln(x)}{x}[/itex], not [itex]\frac{2}{x}x[/itex]. Typo maybe?

Yep, it was a typo.

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. It is used to solve for an unknown exponent in an exponential equation.

How do you prove the property of logarithms?

The property of logarithms states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. This can be proven by using the definition of logarithms and the laws of exponents.

Can you give an example of proving the property of logarithms?

Yes, for example, to prove that log2(8) = log2(2*4), we can use the property of logarithms to rewrite it as log2(2) + log2(4). Then, using the definition of logarithms, this can be simplified to 1 + 2 = 3, which proves the property.

Why is it important to understand logarithms and their properties?

Logarithms are used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating growth rates, analyzing data, and solving exponential equations. Understanding their properties allows us to manipulate and solve these equations more easily.

Are there any common mistakes when proving the property of logarithms?

Yes, some common mistakes include not using the correct base for the logarithms, not simplifying the expression correctly, and not following the correct order of operations. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are correct when proving the property of logarithms.