Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Property of Monotonic Functions

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

For a monotonic increasing/decreasing function [tex] f(x) [/tex] on [tex] x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex], we can only have supremum/infimum which is occured at [tex] x = \infty[/tex] with value [tex] \lim_{x\uparrow \infty}f(x) [/tex] Otherwise, if it was a maximum/minimum, it would violate the assumption of monotonicity.

Am I correct on the above statement?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on your definition of monotonic. There are notions of strict and weak monotonicity; strict means that the function is strictly increasing/decreasing, i.e. x<y means f(x)<f(y) or f(x)>f(y).

Weak means only that x<y means [tex]f(x) \leq f(y)[/tex] or [tex]f(x) \geq f(y)[/tex].

If you're only looking at weak monotonicity, then you can have the function be constant after some value and achieve a maximum/minimum value. For strong monotonicity this can't occur

Also note that the limit as x goes to infinity doesn't have to exist (which means that the function is unbounded).

Obviously the same stuff applies as x goes to minus infinity also for the other bound
  4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Ya, I forgot to state in my sense it is in strict mode.

So in summary, there does not exist maximum/minimum for a strictly increasing/decreasing function in the case of function [tex] f [/tex] on [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex]?
  5. Jun 24, 2010 #4
    That's right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook