1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proportinality graphs of data set

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given dataset for period of a pendulum.
    Length(cm) - 20 , 40 , 60 , 80 , 100
    Period(1 cycle)- .89 , 1.26 , 1.55 , 1.79 , 2.00

Frequency(1/Period) 1.12,0.79,0.65,0.56,0.50
    Period^2 0.79,1.59,2.40,3.20,4.00

2. Relevant equations
    I am suppose to create porportionality graphs, for data originally from the Length vs. Period data, the first graph provides a power relationship. As I go further to describe 1/Period, or known as the frequency I get an inverse relationship, now I need to make a third graph to create a linear relationship. My question is when modifying x-values to create porportionality graphs, do we only modify original data(x-values)? Since I have worked out Period^2 it does provide me with a linear relationship, now I just need to work on a porportionality statement. Would someone be able to confirm my answers. Also I need to relate the slope of the linear relationship to the frequency, I have no idea what that could be, but I am gonna keep thinking about it.

Thank You Very Much

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would this be the porportionality statement?
    Also I couldn't find the symbol for portionality, so thats the closest thing I could find.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted