Find the Time to Complete a Painting Job with Proportion Homework Help

• Thread starter LiHJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the problem states that it takes 30 days for 6 trained workers to complete a painting job and 30 days for 10 untrained workers to complete the same job. To find the time it would take for 4 untrained and 4 trained workers, the combined rate of working for both groups is calculated to be 4/15. Multiplying this by 4, the amount of work done by 4 sets of (1 untrained + 1 trained) workers is 16/15. This corresponds to a time of 28.125 days, or approximately 29 days. The working is logical and can be improved by explicitly stating the rate for 1 untrained + 1 trained worker and using
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Helpers,
This is the question:

It takes 30 days for 6 trained workers to complete a painting job. The same painting job can also be completed in 30 days by a group of 10 untrained workers. How long would a group of 4 untrained and 4 trained workers to complete the same painting job?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my working:

Rate of working based on 30 days (Trained)= (1/6)
Rate of working based on 30 days (Trained)= (1/10)
Combined rate of working based on 30 days = (1/6)+(1/10)=(4/15)

Amount of work done by 4 set of (1 Untrained + 1 trained) workers express in fraction=
(4/15) x 4=(16/15)

(16/15) -----30days
1 whole ------ 30 x (15/16)=28.125

therefore answer = 29 days

Is my working logical or can be better?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Why talk about "based on 30 days" when the problem is asking you to find the number of days the job will take?

If it takes 6 trained workers to do the job in 30 days, then each trained worker is doing 1/6(30)= 1/180 job per day. If it takes 10 untrained workers 30 days to do the job then each untrained worker is doing 1/10(30)= 1/300 job per day. So 4 trained and 4 untrained workers will do 4/180+ 4/300= 1/45+ 1/75= ? jobs per day.

The answer should not depend on what units you choose to express time in. We are free to express the rates as "per day", "per week", or "per 30 days" as the OP essentially did. Working in units of 30 days should and did get to the right answer.

LiHJ said:

Homework Statement

Dear Helpers,
This is the question:

It takes 30 days for 6 trained workers to complete a painting job. The same painting job can also be completed in 30 days by a group of 10 untrained workers. How long would a group of 4 untrained and 4 trained workers to complete the same painting job?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my working:

Rate of working based on 30 days (Trained)= (1/6)
Rate of working based on 30 days (Trained)= (1/10)
Combined rate of working based on 30 days = (1/6)+(1/10)=(4/15)
For clarity I would mention right here that this is the rate for 1 untrained + 1 trained worker. Otherwise the reader (or person grading your work) wonders at this point just what rate you are talking about -- even though you do mention "(1 Untrained + 1 trained) workers" later on.

Amount of work done by 4 set of (1 Untrained + 1 trained) workers express in fraction=
(4/15) x 4=(16/15)

(16/15) -----30days
1 whole ------ 30 x (15/16)=28.125

therefore answer = 29 days

Is my working logical or can be better?
For a math class problem, I would leave the answer as 28.125 and not round up to 29 days.

Also -- it may be that your teacher is fine with setting up the relation as you did:
(16/15) -----30days
etc.​
But I prefer to make an explicit equation involving the three quanties, "Complete Jobs", "Rate", and "Time":
[Complete Jobs] = [Rate]·[Time]​
or
J=R·T​
We want the time to do 1 complete job, so J=1, and you already calculated the rate as 16/15. Solve for T, and realize this value is the number of 30-day periods to complete the job.

But that's just my personal preference; if your teacher uses your setup when working examples in class, what you did should be fine.

Last edited:

Thank you for reading and clearing my doubts about the question.:biggrin:

What is proportion homework?

Proportion homework is a type of math assignment where students are given problems that involve finding and comparing ratios of different quantities.

Why is learning about proportions important?

Understanding proportions is essential for solving real-world problems involving scaling, ratios, and percentages. It is also a fundamental concept in many fields, such as science, finance, and cooking.

How can I solve proportion problems?

To solve proportion problems, you can use the cross-multiplication method or set up a proportion equation and solve for the missing variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with proportions?

One common mistake is using the wrong units of measurement when setting up the proportion equation. It is also essential to double-check your calculations and make sure you are comparing similar quantities.

Where can I find additional help with proportion homework?

You can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources such as math forums or tutoring services. You can also practice solving proportion problems on your own to improve your skills.