Solving Proportion Problems: A Brain-Racking Challenge

• Thread starter simplywrite
  • Start date
In summary: I converted the fraction into a decimal so I can get the answer. The picture will be expressed as 84 over 8.5 or 841/100.
simplywrite
This has been racking my brain for awhile, and I know I have it right, but something is missing.

1. A person earns 850 euros in one week. How much will she earn in 3.5 weeks?

This seemed simple enough, so I just multiplied 850 by 3.5 and got $2,975. I know there's one more step, and I can't find it.

2. A picture is 73/4 inches wide and 81/2 inches high. If you wish to enlarge the width to 10 inches, how high will the picture be? Express in fractions instead of decimals.

I converted the fractions into decimals so I can get the fraction answer. I came up with 7.75/8.5 = x/10 = I then got 77.5 over 8.5 and came up with 911/100. Obviously this is wrong, but I can't figure out the step I missed here.

3. There's 5/4 of a triangle and 2/x of another one, I'm supposed to find the missing piece.I come up with 8/5. I'm stuck on where to go from here.

Any help would be appericated.

Physics news on Phys.org
simplywrite said:

This seemed simple enough, so I just multiplied 850 by 3.5 and got $2,975. I know there's one more step, and I can't find it.
This one's just fine---no missing steps.

2. A picture is 73/4 inches wide and 81/2 inches high. If you wish to enlarge the width to 10 inches, how high will the picture be? Express in fractions instead of decimals.

I converted the fractions into decimals so I can get the fraction answer. I came up with 7.75/8.5 = x/10 = I then got 77.5 over 8.5 and came up with 911/100. Obviously this is wrong, but I can't figure out the step I missed here.
You messed up the statement of ratios. It looks like you tried to use:
[tex]\frac{W_1}{H_1} = \frac{W_2}{H_2}[/tex]
But you put [itex]H_2 = 10[/itex] instead of [itex]W_2 = 10[/itex].
3. There's 5/4 of a triangle and 2/x of another one, I'm supposed to find the missing piece.I come up with 8/5. I'm stuck on where to go from here.
I don't understand this problem.

simplywrite said:
This has been racking my brain for awhile, and I know I have it right, but something is missing.

Right. You forgot to account for taxes ;). Just kidding, that looks correct to me.

I'd suggest staying with fractions if you're comforatable:

So you've got an inital aspect ratio:
[tex]\frac{width}{height}=\frac{\frac{73}{4}}{\frac{81}{2}}=\frac{146}{324}=\frac{73}{162}[/tex]
and then you want so solve for the same aspect ratio with a different width:
[tex]\frac{10}{h}=\frac{73}{162}[/tex]
[tex]10\times162=73 h[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1620}{73}=h[/tex]

Of course, since [tex]\frac{73}{4} > 10[/tex] and the problem mentions increase to 10 inches, I'm guessing you copied it incorrectly.

Any help would be appericated.
I can't quite follow what you're doing, but I'd guess that you'should be getting [tex]\frac{8}{5x}[/tex] instead of [tex]\frac{8}{5}[/tex].

The exact problem is

I have two triangles, one is 5 inches on the left and 4 inches at the bottom. Another one is 2 inches on the left side and x on the bottom. The idea is to find the missing piece of that one, that's what I was trying to say.

simplywrite said:
The exact problem is

I have two triangles, one is 5 inches on the left and 4 inches at the bottom. Another one is 2 inches on the left side and x on the bottom. The idea is to find the missing piece of that one, that's what I was trying to say.

Can you fill in the spaces below?
5 is to 4 as _ is to _

5 is to 4 as 2 is to x.

One triange is 5 inches on the left, and 4 at the bottom. Another is 2 inches to the left. The idea is to find the x at the bottom of the other triange.

Let me redo this one:

A picture is 7 3/4 inches wide and is 8 1/2 inches high. If you enlarge the picture by 10 inches, how high will the picture be expressed as a fraction over a decimal?

What is a proportion problem?

A proportion problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically involves finding a missing value in a ratio or comparing two equivalent ratios.

How do I solve a proportion problem?

To solve a proportion problem, you can use the cross-multiplication method. This involves multiplying the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other ratio and setting the products equal to each other. Then, you can solve for the missing value by dividing both sides by the coefficient of the variable.

Can you give an example of a proportion problem?

Sure, an example of a proportion problem is: If it takes 4 hours for 6 workers to complete a project, how long will it take for 12 workers to complete the same project? In this problem, the ratio of workers to time is the same for both situations, so we can set up the proportion as 4/6 = x/12 and solve for x.

What if the proportion problem involves fractions or decimals?

If the proportion problem involves fractions or decimals, you can convert them to equivalent fractions or decimals before solving. For example, if one ratio is 3/4 and the other is 0.6, you can convert 0.6 to 3/5 and then solve the proportion as normal.

Are there any tips for solving proportion problems more easily?

Yes, some tips for solving proportion problems more easily include setting up a proportion with the missing value as the variable, simplifying fractions or decimals before solving, and checking your answer by plugging it back into the original proportion. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of proportion problems to improve your skills.