Calculate Proportional Limit of Alloy Bar

In summary, the proportional limit is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it starts to deform plastically. It can be calculated by dividing the stress at the proportional limit by the strain at the proportional limit, and can be affected by factors such as composition, manufacturing process, and temperature. It is important to know the proportional limit in designing structures and machines, and while it can be exceeded without causing immediate failure, it can lead to permanent deformation and eventual failure in the long term. No other output before the summary.
JSBeckton
I am given the length, elongated length, original diameter and reduced diameter of a alloy bar, and the load carried. I need to calculate the mod of elasticity, poisson's ratio and the proportional limit for the material. Got the first 2, how do I calculate the proportional limit? My book it quite vague, as if its obvious, which I'm sure that it is but I missed it, can anyone tell me what i need to do? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, I got it

To calculate the proportional limit of the alloy bar, you will need to use the stress-strain curve for the material. This curve shows the relationship between the stress applied to the material and the resulting strain, or deformation, of the material.

The proportional limit is the point on the stress-strain curve where the material begins to exhibit non-linear behavior, meaning that the relationship between stress and strain is no longer a straight line. This is typically represented by a sudden increase in the slope of the curve.

To determine the proportional limit, you will need to plot the stress-strain data for the alloy bar and visually identify the point where the curve deviates from a straight line. This point will be the proportional limit.

Alternatively, you can also calculate the proportional limit by finding the stress value at which the strain is equal to 0.2%. This is the standard definition of proportional limit and can be found by dividing the stress at 0.2% strain by the original cross-sectional area of the bar.

It is important to note that the proportional limit is a critical value for a material, as it marks the point where the material begins to permanently deform and may no longer return to its original shape. Therefore, it is an important parameter to consider when designing and using materials for different applications.

1. What is the definition of proportional limit?

The proportional limit is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it starts to deform plastically, meaning that it loses its ability to return to its original shape after the stress is removed.

2. How is the proportional limit of an alloy bar calculated?

The proportional limit of an alloy bar can be calculated by dividing the stress at the proportional limit by the strain at the proportional limit. This can be determined by conducting a tensile test on the alloy bar and measuring the stress and strain at various points.

3. What factors can affect the proportional limit of an alloy bar?

The proportional limit of an alloy bar can be affected by factors such as the composition of the alloy, the manufacturing process, and the temperature at which the test is conducted. Other factors such as the presence of impurities and defects in the material can also affect the proportional limit.

4. Why is it important to know the proportional limit of an alloy bar?

Knowing the proportional limit of an alloy bar is important because it helps determine the maximum stress that the material can withstand without undergoing permanent deformation. This information is important in designing structures and machines that use alloy bars, as it ensures that the material is not subjected to stresses that exceed its maximum limit.

5. Can the proportional limit be exceeded without causing failure in an alloy bar?

Yes, the proportional limit can be exceeded without causing failure in an alloy bar. If the stress is removed before the material reaches its ultimate tensile strength, it will return to its original shape. However, exceeding the proportional limit can cause permanent deformation, which can weaken the material and lead to failure in the long term.