Solve Proportionality Problems with Ease: Get Proportionality Help Now!

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a proportionality problem involving the pressure exerted by a fluid in a pipe. The problem states that the pressure varies inversely as the sixth power of the diameter. The person is asked to find the multiplicative change and percentage change in pressure if the diameter decreases by 20%. After some calculations and a mistake being corrected, the correct answers are determined to be a multiplicative change of 3.18 and a percentage change of 218%.
DB
proportionality help needed please

stuck on a proportionality problem...
1) the pressure exerted by a fluid in a pipe varies inversely as the sixth power of the diameter. what is the multiplicative change (delta X_m) and percentage change (delta X%) in the pressure is the diameter of the pipe decreases by 20%?
[tex]p\propto \frac{1}{d^6}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_2}{p_1}=\frac{1}{0.2^6}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_2}{p_1}=15625[/tex]

therefore

[tex]\frac{15625}{1}\equiv \frac{1}{0.2^6}[/tex]

so

[tex]\Delta X_m=15625[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta X_m -1 = \Delta X_{relative}[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta X_{rel.} * 100 = Delta X_%[/tex]

so

[tex]15625-1=15624*100=\Delta X_%[/tex]

[tex]\Delta X_% = 1.5624 * 10^6[/tex]?
i must of done something wrong...any help appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
if u can't see my last three step i got the percentage change as 1.5624*10^6%

DB said:
[tex]p\propto \frac{1}{d^6}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_2}{p_1}=\frac{1}{0.2^6}[/tex]
Recheck this step. When the diameter decreases by 20%: [itex]D_2 = 0.8 D_1[/itex]

thanks doc
shame on me, stupid mistake, but this seems right, the multiplicative change is 3.18 and the percentage change is 218%. that right?

Sounds good to me.

thanks doc

What is proportionality?

Proportionality is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two quantities. It states that as one quantity increases or decreases, the other quantity also changes in a predictable manner.

How do I determine if two quantities are proportional?

To determine if two quantities are proportional, you can create a ratio of the two quantities and see if it remains the same as the values of the quantities change. If the ratio remains constant, then the quantities are proportional.

What is the difference between direct and inverse proportionality?

In direct proportionality, as one quantity increases, the other quantity also increases. Inverse proportionality, on the other hand, describes a situation where as one quantity increases, the other quantity decreases.

How can I use proportionality in real-life situations?

Proportionality can be used in various real-life situations, such as scaling objects, calculating recipe ingredients, and determining sales discounts. It is also commonly used in science and engineering to analyze and solve problems.

What are some common misconceptions about proportionality?

One common misconception about proportionality is that the two quantities must have a linear relationship. In reality, proportionality can exist in non-linear relationships as well. Another misconception is that proportionality implies causality, when in fact, it only describes a relationship between two quantities.