Proposal: dark phenomenology thread

• Thread starter mitchell porter
  • Start date
In summary, there is a desire for a thread to discuss specific theories of dark matter, but there are concerns about it being shut down as personal theorizing and uncertainty about which subforum it should go in. There is also a discussion about the difficulty of moderating theory development forums and the decision to enforce a blanket policy against personal theories and speculation in all forums.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
In the wake of data from Planck, AMS-02, and CDMS-II, I would like there to be a thread where we can discuss specific theories of dark matter, observational and theoretical constraints, and so forth. Normally, if I have an idea for a thread, I just go ahead and create it, but in this case I have two reasons for caution. First, I don't want this to be shut down as "personal theorizing", and second, I'm not sure which subforum it should go in - Astrophysics? Beyond the Standard Model?

Regarding the first point... In such a thread, I would like to raise questions like: Suppose we take the model in http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.0713, which consists of the MSSM coupled to a dark sector with a new gauge interaction, and replace the visible sector with the "munuSSM" of http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0508297 - then can we interpret the CDMS-II events as due to heavy right-handed neutrinos? That is, I want us to be able to discuss combinations of possibilities in the literature, particular regions of parameter space that were not analyzed in the original papers, and so on.

Regarding the second point... Understanding dark matter is highly interdisciplinary - requiring inputs from cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics - and I'm not sure where the best place for such a thread would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your original post in the dark matter was deleted because it was speculation, and aimed to build a personal theory. Such posts are not permitted here at PF, since the main goal of this forum is to discuss mainstream, published literature.

Now, on the face of it, you might think this is a stupid rule. We did have a theory development forum once, and an independent research forum not so long ago. These were incredibly difficult to moderate, since while there was the odd serious discussion, the majority of the posts were nonsense. This was taking far too much time of the mentors, and bringing down the quality of the forum. So, we decided to make a blanket policy, that personal theories and speculation are not permitted here.

Such a one-size-fits-all policy is not going to be to the liking of all our members, but, given the years of experience of such theory development, it was decided to enforce these rules across all forums. And we think the majority of our members enjoy, and benefit from such rules.

1. What is dark phenomenology?

Dark phenomenology is a theoretical framework in the field of philosophy and psychology that focuses on the subjective experience of negative or traumatic events. It explores the ways in which individuals process and make sense of these experiences, and how they may impact one's perception of reality and identity.

2. How is dark phenomenology different from traditional phenomenology?

Traditional phenomenology examines the lived experience of consciousness and perception, while dark phenomenology specifically focuses on negative experiences and their effects. It also takes into account the societal and cultural influences on our understanding of these experiences.

3. What is the purpose of a "dark phenomenology thread"?

A dark phenomenology thread is a proposal for a research project or discussion that seeks to explore the complexities of negative experiences and their impact on individuals and society. It aims to shed light on how we understand and cope with these experiences, and potentially develop strategies for managing them.

4. How can dark phenomenology be applied in real-world settings?

Dark phenomenology can be applied in various fields such as psychology, mental health, and social work. It can help professionals better understand and support individuals who have experienced trauma or other negative events. It can also inform the development of interventions and treatments for mental health disorders related to negative experiences.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when studying dark phenomenology?

Yes, there are ethical considerations when studying dark phenomenology. Researchers must prioritize the well-being and privacy of participants, especially when discussing sensitive and potentially triggering topics. It is also important to obtain informed consent and maintain confidentiality throughout the research process.