1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proposed plasma transformer

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    Good day , while reading about DC DC converters I stumbled upon some papers discussing a DC DC plasma transformer , the science behind it being similar to tokamak current drive or so they say , I tried to search various links for some information to get a clue about how it works but I couldn't find any info that I could understand , could some of you folks help me out with some explanations ?

A scientist named Rick Nebels is working on it as much as I can tell.
    I would love to know the how it works , like do they apply a steady magnetic field from a DC winding to the plasma and the plasma somehow self oscillates to create a waveform in the secondary or what ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2
  4. Oct 23, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, yeah, all a Google search comes up with is traditional transformers to make high voltages for creating plasmas....

Do you have a pointer to the Tokamak B-field drive that you mention? I wasn't aware that there was a net current flow around a Tokamak in the plasma. Is there one?

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4
    This is from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak

As much as I understand I would say yes , firstly there are plasma confining electromagnets but there is also a current induced into the plasma so in the end the plasma creates its own EM field which pushes against the em field of the outer physical windings, this is how much I understand.
    Looks like somehow the people working on the polywell have thought out how to use this plasma current carrying property to use the plasma as a sort of "flowing" iron core like in a typical transformer , the difference that in a typical transformer applying a steady DC would not result in a induced current but applying the same to a plasma induces somekind of flow which further can induce secondary currents ,

although as I said this is just a skecth and I kow nothing more I would really enjoy if someone could shed some light here.

6. Oct 27, 2014 #5
    berkeman , anyone?

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6

Astronuc

To induce a current magnetically, the magnetic field needs to vary (increase) in time. Otherwise, one has a static field, which would be useful for confinement, but not for forcing a current in the plasma.

In a tokamak that uses resistive heating in the plasma, the gas/plasma behaves as a single winding, much like the winding in a normal transformer. One can pulse the current which causes a toroidal field, which acts on the charges to compress the plasma (j x B).

8. Jun 25, 2016 #7
    Nassim Haramein is using plasma in his patent. this information may be helpful.
    << Questionable reference redacted by Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  9. Jun 25, 2016 #8
    I looked up Nassim and even though this thread is old I just want to point out he is one of those crazy folks who mixes science with various kinds of new age dogma about people all being one consciousness and being god like BS.
    He literally makes science a religion.I suggest JeffVan you don't take him seriously.

10. Jun 25, 2016 #9

berkeman

Thread closed for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook