Are these two propositions equivalent when dealing with subsets of real numbers?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation shows that the following is equivalent: each non-empty and upper bounded subset of real numbers has a least upper bound. each non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers has a greatest lower bound.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that the following is equivalent:

1. each non-empty and upper bounded subset of real numbers has a least upper bound.
  2. each non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers has a greatest lower bound.

I have thought the following so far:

$1. \Rightarrow 2.$:

Let $A$ be an arbitrary non-empty and upper bounded subset of real numbers with least upper bound $a$.
Let $B=-A=\{ -x \mid x \in A\}$.
We have that $x \leq a, \forall x \in A$. Then $-x \geq -a$, so $y \geq -a, \forall y \in B$ and thus $B$ has $-a$ as its greatest lower bound.

Is the proof that 1. implies 2. as above complete? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that the following is equivalent:

1. each non-empty and upper bounded subset of real numbers has a least upper bound.
  2. each non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers has a greatest lower bound.

I have thought the following so far:

$1. \Rightarrow 2.$:

Let $A$ be an arbitrary non-empty and upper bounded subset of real numbers with least upper bound $a$.
Let $B=-A=\{ -x \mid x \in A\}$.
We have that $x \leq a, \forall x \in A$. Then $-x \geq -a$, so $y \geq -a, \forall y \in B$ and thus $B$ has $-a$ as its greatest lower bound.

Is the proof that 1. implies 2. as above complete? (Thinking)

Hey evinda!

You have proven it only for a $B$ that is of the form $-A$, but formally it should be for each $B$ that is non-empty and has a lower bounded subset.
That is, we should start with a $B$ that is a non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers.
And then, using (1), show that $B$ has a greatest lower bound, shouldn't we? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda!

You have proven it only for a $B$ that is of the form $-A$, but formally it should be for each $B$ that is non-empty and has a lower bounded subset.
That is, we should start with a $B$ that is a non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers.
And then, using (1), show that $B$ has a greatest lower bound, shouldn't we? (Thinking)

Oh yes, right... (Nod)

So, we suppose that (1) holds.
Let $B$ be an arbitrary non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers. Then the set $A=-B=\{ -y \mid y \in B\}$ is non-empty and upper bounded. Since (1) holds, $A$ has a least upper bound, i.e. $-x \leq a, \forall x \in B$, impying that $B$ has a greatest lower bound, since then $x \geq -a, \forall x \in B$.

Is it right like that? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes, right...

So, we suppose that (1) holds.
Let $B$ be an arbitrary non-empty and lower bounded subset of real numbers. Then the set $A=-B=\{ -y \mid y \in B\}$ is non-empty and upper bounded. Since (1) holds, $A$ has a least upper bound, i.e. $-x \leq a, \forall x \in B$, impying that $B$ has a greatest lower bound, since then $x \geq -a, \forall x \in B$.

Is it right like that?

Yep. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

Great... Thank you (Happy)

1. What does it mean for propositions to be equivalent?

When two propositions are equivalent, it means that they have the same truth value. This means that if one proposition is true, the other is also true, and if one proposition is false, the other is also false.

2. How do you prove that two propositions are equivalent?

To prove that two propositions are equivalent, you can use a truth table or logical equivalences. A truth table is a table that lists all the possible combinations of truth values for the propositions and shows whether the propositions have the same truth value for each combination. Logical equivalences are rules that allow you to manipulate propositions to show that they are equivalent.

3. Can propositions be equivalent even if they use different words or symbols?

Yes, propositions can still be equivalent even if they are worded differently or use different symbols. As long as the truth values of the propositions are the same, they are considered equivalent.

4. Are propositions always equivalent?

No, propositions are not always equivalent. Two propositions can only be equivalent if they have the same truth value for every possible combination of truth values for their variables. If there is at least one combination where the truth values are different, then the propositions are not equivalent.

5. Can two contradictory propositions be equivalent?

No, two contradictory propositions cannot be equivalent. Contradictory propositions are propositions that have opposite truth values. For example, "It is raining" and "It is not raining" are contradictory propositions. Since they have opposite truth values, they cannot be equivalent.