Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Proprioception calibration

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1

Mk

I was just hitting the spine of a small hardcover book against my ankle bone without looking. I my accuracy is not where I want it to be.

My propriception is not as good as I'd like it to be. Not that it is under-average or anything (like I'd know the average..), but I would like to improve it. Should I just practice doing things like that?

In complete darkness I must find my way around sometimes (in Guam the power goes out a lot, as well as a general lack of artificial lighting)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2
    The particular problem you're trying to practise to overcome isn't really an issue of proprioception. You would have better result researching all the tactics blind people have developed for getting around and practising those. Either that or get a little penlight and wear it around your neck on a string or chain.

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3

Mk

Sounds interesting, I didn't think of that. I know my surroundings better than I know myself really, I can walk around my house with my eyes closed. I thought it would be good if I didn't need a penlight. In fact that would be awesome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?