Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pro's and Con's of GRAVITY

1. Jan 2, 2005 #1
    Hey, can I say that gravity is more good, or more bad? Despite the crazy reason about wanting to float or fly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2005 #2

DB

The universe is what it is now because of gravity. Without it we probably wouldn't be here right now. The earth is round because of gravity. The sun exists because of gravity. I think gravity is all good.

4. Jan 2, 2005 #3
    I'll agree....if I want non-gravity i'll go to space :biggrin:

5. Jan 2, 2005 #4
    Pro-I get to use my shoes

Con-when I let go of a tree branch it hurts

6. Jan 2, 2005 #5
    It's definitly not ALL good, if it really was the least it could do is slow down a tad whenever someone falls out of an Airplane, I mean, come on. If I was gravity I would be helping out in Iraq and everything. Lazy son-of-a-molecule.

7. Jan 2, 2005 #6
    GRAVITY gets me down! :mad:

GRAVITY gets the girls down! :biggrin:

8. Jan 2, 2005 #7
    I stand corrected, Gravity is pure good.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  9. Jan 3, 2005 #8
    I'm very much in favour of gravity, owing to the fact that without it we'd all suffocate, because the Earth would be unable to hold onto an atmosphere, and then be incinerated, because there would be nothing stopping the sun from exploding.

10. Jan 3, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Sure, a lack of gravity would be fun, but one misdirected sneeze and bye bye solid ground.

11. Jan 3, 2005 #10
    Gravity is detrimental to boobs.

12. Jan 3, 2005 #11
    I love you tribdog :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Jan 3, 2005 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm pro-gravity.

It gives me a sense of belonging.

The force of gravity goes on forever. It diminishes in inverse proportion to the square of the distance, but it never reaches zero. Every star I see in the sky is tugging on me just a little bit, almost as if saying "We want you here." Even more, I tug on every star in the sky just a little bit. The universe knows I'm here.

Of course, there's one reason for liking gravity that's even more important than a sense of belonging.

If gravity didn't exist, everyone would have Don King hair. :yuck:

14. Jan 3, 2005 #13

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With Einstein's eyes, gravity is the same thing as spacetime. No gravity. No universe. I'll take it.

15. Jan 3, 2005 #14
    Hahaha...thanks guys, I now know gravity rocks.

16. Jan 5, 2005 #15
    It's okay on a cosmic scale, but I say there's too much of it in the physics department at 11:30 PM, the night before an exam.

17. Jan 5, 2005 #16
    It's not better than cable.

18. Jan 5, 2005 #17
    Haha. I don't have cable, so I wouldn't know. But how does that contribute to the pro's and con's?

19. Jan 5, 2005 #18
    Without gravity, there would be no cable!

20. Jan 5, 2005 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With cable, who cares if there's no gravity ?

21. Jan 5, 2005 #20
    Without gravity, the earth wouldn't exist as we know it, and there would be nothing to bury the cables in!

Also all the actors and producers would suffocate in the lack of atmosphere... unless they got oxygen tanks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?