Is Gravity Our Ally or Our Enemy?

• Thread starter ConcealedDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, according to M Theory, gravity is more good, or more bad? Despite the crazy reason about wanting to float or fly. Gravity is what holds the Earth, sun, and universe together. Without it, we probably wouldn't be here right now. The force of gravity goes on forever and diminishes in inverse proportion to the square of the distance. Every star in the sky tugging on me just a little bit. The universe knows I'm here. Of course, there's one reason for liking gravity that's even more important than a sense of belonging. If gravity didn't exist, everyone would have Don King hair.
arildno said:
And you have convinced me as well.
I can't see that we need gravity if we have cable.
In fact, I would put it even stronger:
Gravity is an obstacle, cable is opportunity.

DOWN WITH GRAVITY!
Is it possible to overthrow gravity? :rofl: :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Our foe is old and subtle.
He's wily and has achieved an almost imperceptible (but really suffocating) influence over all creation.

Overthrowing him is a daunting task, but now that we have discovered his malevolence, can we really sit back and let his oppression go on?
Isn't it nobler to perish in the attempt of overthrowing, than eking out an unpalatable existence as SLAVES OF GRAVITY?

I have thought well on this, and I think that if we really are to succeed, it is imperative to find potential ALLIES.

And here's the deal:
As any clever tyrant has realized, gravity knows he cannot rule all by himself; he NEEDS experts to carry out vital tasks in the smooth running of the universe.
In particular, he needs to use expertise he himself does not possess.

So, what does the clever tyrant do?
Among the experts he only selects those with a shy and timid personality; i.e, who can easily be cowed by his incessant bullying.

These frightened collaborators hardly ever dare to set their foot outside of the tiny cubicles they've been allotted, and they're repeatedly told that there's a dangerous, vicious world out there which is out to get them.

In particular, they are discouraged from exercising their expertise&influence outside of the immediate vicinity of their grim master.

I am pleased to announce that I have been able to identify the frightened, oppressed collaborators (slaves, really; we ought to pity them):

The nuclear forces!

We cannot hope to overthrow gravity, unless we impart some self-confidence into these poor, battered things.
They need to be assured that we won't eat them, we like them, and we would like their influence and expertise to be more appreciable.

So, the first step in our rebellion should be:
LIBERATE ALL NUCLEAR FORCES!

The fight will be tough, there will be tons of blood&tears, but do we really dare to let grim gravity retain his stranglehold upon us?

We MUST fight, let PhysicsForums be a focus of determined resistance against the evil genius of gravity!

But without gravity, my soup wouldn't stay in my bowl. :cry:

Evo said:
Don't worry, Evo; as Gokul has shown, all you need is cable (just wrap your soup around the cable, since gravity isn't there any more, the soup will stay)

Gravity's most insidious claim is that we need him (we don't); we must remove the scales he has placed over our eyes.

Evo said:

Darn ! One more traditionalist. Don't you see you're behaving like a brainwashed being, Evo ? Free your mind. This gravity thing is just a ploy to control our minds.

Vote cable ! It will uplift and free you - things gravity can hardly dream of. Has anyone ever complained that cable television is a form of mind control ? QED.

Gravity is over-rated.

Down with gravity. Gravity sucks. No, I'll go one bold step further : Gravity is so ugly, it's repulsive.

Evo said:
We must all make sacrifices for the greater good.

arildno said:
The nuclear forces!
Nuclear war seems a bit extreme at this stage in the struggle.

Perhaps we should explore diplomatic means. For instance:
Gokul43201 said:
Gravity is so ugly, it's repulsive.
Basically, if we can just continue to make gravity unattractive , our work will be done.

:smile:

Artman said:
Evo said:
We must all make sacrifices for the greater good.
I guess I could put my soup in one of those pouches. :frown:

Evo said:

That, or simpler, just strap on your jetpack, set the throttle on LOW, and accelerate slowly in the direction defined by the vector originating in the center of the base of the soup bowl and terminating at the center of the rim.

Evo said:
three words.

cup lid straw

Without gravity, you'll float around and won't you get dizzy? If you hang on to a object with a <b> cable </b> , you'll have to tie yourself with it. It gets unconfortable. =]

ConcealedDreamer said:
Without gravity, you'll float around and won't you get dizzy? If you hang on to a object with a <b> cable </b> , you'll have to tie yourself with it. It gets unconfortable. =]
He doesn't appreciate the gravity of his statements. We have ways of turning you to the light side (as opposed to the heavy side).

Quick Gokul43201 sneak up behind him with the cable...I'll distract him... :devil:

Hey look over there ConcealedDreamer, isn't that Elvis? :uhh:

Sneaking up on dreamer with a near-lethal dose of cable and a pair of blinders...

Gokul43201 said:
Sneaking up on dreamer with a near-lethal dose of cable and a pair of blinders...

Haha..turns Super Saiyan 4 and rules the world!

now that's just ridiculous.
That's enough cable for you. PBS for the rest of the week.

^The Practically Broke Station

I wonder if he appreciates the gravity of the situation.

tribdog said:
now that's just ridiculous.
That's enough cable for you. PBS for the rest of the week.
I think you're right, GoKul probably gave him too much cable. Good thing you happened along with the antidote, Tribdog.

Artman said:
I think you're right, GoKul probably gave him too much cable. Good thing you happened along with the antidote, Tribdog.
You can't get too much cable.
Perhaps tribdog is trying to subvert the new order.

What makes you buy direct satellite say something like that.

tribdog said:
Why do I no longer want cable or gravity?
must... get... back...in...control... Must subjugate the masses with our high priced wire broadband service...oops, did I just say that outloud?Ignore that previous statement, cable is best.

tribdog said:
This reeks of subversion :grumpy:.
I do not have the skills or authority to take appropriate action.
Only cablemaster Gokul has that.

Bow before his wrath.

Last edited:
arildno said:
This reeks of subversion :grumpy:.
I do not have the skills or authority to take appropriate action.
Only cablemaster Gokul has that.

Bow before his wrath.
But be careful bowing in front of his cable.
:bugeye: :eek: :bugeye:

Artman said:
But be careful bowing in front of his cable.
:bugeye: :eek: :bugeye:
Are you implying there's something WRONG with his cable?
What's wrong with cable worship? :confused:

arildno said:
Are you implying there's something WRONG with his cable?
What's wrong with cable worship? :confused:
You are worshiping GoKul's cable?

You are very close to being a subversive like that tribdog, Artman.
I will hear no slurs against the cablemaster.
(EDIT: Nor against his cable)

Last edited:
cable? cable?
Gokul?
looks more like a wire to me.

tribdog said:
cable? cable?
Gokul?
looks more like a wire to me.
That's because you're seeing it from a distance.
Go closer.

Artman said:
Is it possible to overthrow gravity? :rofl: :tongue:
You could with Cosmic Communism.

A Cosmic Communist could re-distribute all the energy/matter and dark energy/dark matter in the universe in an equal fashion, so they all counter-act each other, and we live in a egalitarian, gravityless society.

You may not see the following subliminal message (but it will find its way into your subconscience...muwahahaha) :devil:

MORE CABLE PLEASE . . . . . MORE CABLE PLEASE . . . . . MORE CABLE PLEASE . . .

Gokul43201 said:
You may not see the following subliminal message (but it will find its way into your subconscience...muwahahaha) :devil:

I believe that's classified as supraliminal...

Would there be supraliminality if gravity were replaced by cable?

Gokul43201 said:

Thank you, Gokul!
We all need to be exposed to your moral lessons from time to time, even if some may find them hard to swallow initially. They'll get used to it.

Last edited:
we might not see what?