1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pros/cons of carbon nanotube (CNT) chemical sensors and conventional gas detectors?

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of the CNT sensors and conventional gas detectors?
    I know that CNT sensors can detect very low chemical adsorption energy, which a conventional gas detector probably can't.

Besides that, is there any more pros and cons of the two?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Big problem with CNT so far, is producing a consistant product in any meaningful quantity.
    CNT production is still very much a black art.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

But how about the cost?
    I guess CNT is probably still pretty expensive, but I have no idea how much is the conventional gas detector usually cost. (since I've only seen it on tv..)

Thanks.

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AFAIK you can't buy the CNT variety.
    It's one of a kind, proof of concept stuff.

How much a conventional detector costs depends on what you're detecting and the sensitivity.
    You can get something like a CO detector in the $20 to $30 range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook