1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pros help me with physics hw

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

hello everybody, i had hw prob due tommorrow, but i couldn't solve, the attached file is the image of the problem (it absolutely has no virus). all known values are labeled in the picture (V, R (same for all), C1 and C2). The questions are: find curren I, and time constant (which is equal to RC)

2. Relevant equations
    I let my friend borrow my textbook, and i forgot to get his cell phone, so i can't find many formulas for the prob. But i do remember some and enough for the prob
    V1 =V2 for parallel, I = I1 + I2 for parallel, V = V1 + V2, I1 = I2....

3. The attempt at a solution

The prob involves RC circuit, if it's series RC circuit, i may (or may not) find the solutions, but here the parallel RC circuit, and i don't have textbook with me, so i couldn't find the connection between R and C in parallel circuit. I did surfing the web to find the formula, and i found the formula: Rc = j omega C (or Ic = j omega CV). I have no idea what j and omega are, beside, they are not given values, so i stuck.

I believe the above formula only apply for AC circuit, while this problem is DC circuit. I was thinking that the current doesn't go through the capacitors, so we can calculate the total resistance R of the circuit while ignoring the capacitor, then we use the formula i(t) = U/R * [1-e^(-t / RC)] to find current I (i didn't find any source that say this formula could apply to parallel RC). That was my plan, if someone could point out the solution, million times thanx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?