1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prospective physicist - how to get relevant experience?

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    Next year I have been admitted to and plan on matriculating into a "mathematical physics" and computer science program. I feel my interests are likely to be in applied physics, in fields such as Quantum electronics, nano-physics, semiconductors. However I appreciate the Mathematics too much to give it up. I want to put this out there to ask if there would be any way I could gain sufficient experience on my own. How receptive would professors generally be to taking on a student without an experimental background? Would I be able to get experimental experience in any other way, especially so I can work towards a good final research project?
    Edit - I This program replaces the standard physics labs with more applied and pure math courses and it's physics courses are intended to be more mathematically based.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted