Prospective physicist - how to get relevant experience?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to attend a "mathematical physics" and computer science program next year. They express their interest in applied physics, particularly in Quantum electronics, nano-physics, and semiconductors, while also valuing mathematics. The speaker is concerned about gaining sufficient experience in experimental physics, as their program does not have traditional lab courses. They ask if professors would be receptive to taking on a student without an experimental background and if there are other ways to gain experience for a research project. The speaker also mentions that their school has a strong theoretical physics department but lacks experimental courses. They are unsure if they can find a professor to mentor them without lab experience or if they can gain the necessary experience on
Occasia
Next year I have been admitted to and plan on matriculating into a "mathematical physics" and computer science program. I feel my interests are likely to be in applied physics, in fields such as Quantum electronics, nano-physics, semiconductors. However I appreciate the Mathematics too much to give it up. I want to put this out there to ask if there would be any way I could gain sufficient experience on my own. How receptive would professors generally be to taking on a student without an experimental background? Would I be able to get experimental experience in any other way, especially so I can work towards a good final research project?
Edit - I This program replaces the standard physics labs with more applied and pure math courses and it's physics courses are intended to be more mathematically based.

Physics news on Phys.org
The school I'm attending has a great physics department, but it's mostly theoretical with very few experimental courses. I'm not sure if I can get a professor to take me on as a student without any lab experience or whether I can gain the necessary lab experience for a research project on my own.

1. What type of relevant experience should I have as a prospective physicist?

As a prospective physicist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other related sciences. It is also beneficial to have experience conducting research, working in a laboratory setting, and using various scientific equipment and tools.

2. How can I gain relevant experience if I am still in high school?

If you are still in high school, you can gain relevant experience by taking advanced courses in math and science, participating in science fairs, and volunteering or interning at local research institutions or universities. You can also read scientific articles and attend seminars or lectures to expand your knowledge in the field.

3. Is it necessary to have a degree in physics to gain relevant experience?

While having a degree in physics can provide valuable knowledge and skills, it is not always necessary to gain relevant experience. Many research institutions and universities offer internships or research opportunities for individuals with a strong background in math and science, regardless of their major.

4. Can I gain relevant experience through online courses or programs?

While online courses or programs can provide valuable knowledge and skills, they may not always be considered as relevant experience by research institutions or universities. It is important to also have hands-on experience in a laboratory setting and working with scientific equipment.

5. How can I make the most out of my relevant experience as a prospective physicist?

To make the most out of your relevant experience, it is important to actively engage in the tasks and projects assigned to you, ask questions, and seek guidance from experienced researchers or professors. You should also document your experience and skills gained, and use them to strengthen your resume and future applications for graduate programs or jobs in the field of physics.