Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prospective salary

1. May 29, 2005 #1
    I'm just wondering...

I'm going to start with an undergraduate in physics, from there I I'll pursue a graduate degree in something practical, something that's sought after in industry...

But what? I know it's not healthy to pick a degree because of the income. But I don't want to work my ass of in school, and spend the rest of my life worrying about personal budgets and such.

Any suggestions...?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    Some suggestions I might offer include Medical/Health physics, any research being done in CVD/PVD or other deposition, and semiconductor technology. Any combination of the above is gravy.

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    I've heard of medical physics, only problem is that I can't stand hospitals.

Semiconductors and technology in general is something I think is interesting.

Btw, what is CVD/PVD?

Cheers

5. May 30, 2005 #4
    CHemical and physical vapor deposition. Maybe it would be better just to say materials science in general.

Maybe someone else can say, but i believe optics is always good too? Oh and you can have a long, happy career in health physics and almost never set foot in a hospital. I do share your opinion of those places :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook