1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prospective salary

1. May 29, 2005 #1
    I'm just wondering...

I'm going to start with an undergraduate in physics, from there I I'll pursue a graduate degree in something practical, something that's sought after in industry...

But what? I know it's not healthy to pick a degree because of the income. But I don't want to work my ass of in school, and spend the rest of my life worrying about personal budgets and such.

Any suggestions...?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    Some suggestions I might offer include Medical/Health physics, any research being done in CVD/PVD or other deposition, and semiconductor technology. Any combination of the above is gravy.

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    I've heard of medical physics, only problem is that I can't stand hospitals.

Semiconductors and technology in general is something I think is interesting.

Btw, what is CVD/PVD?

Cheers

5. May 30, 2005 #4
    CHemical and physical vapor deposition. Maybe it would be better just to say materials science in general.

Maybe someone else can say, but i believe optics is always good too? Oh and you can have a long, happy career in health physics and almost never set foot in a hospital. I do share your opinion of those places :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?