Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Protection form radiation

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    I read in alocal daily that some bacteria have around 1000rads. Can we take that dna and put it in humans :surprised and make them resistant to radiation. Then can we use nuclear power everywhere(like planes, cars, etc) :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2
    Don't you mean that there are bacteria that can "withstand" 1000 rads? :wink:

Yes, such bacteria do exist. There is even one bacteria called D. radiodurans that can survive in radial doses exceeding 1,000,000 rads.

Can this unique feature be intergrated into human DNA? I would like to see you try. :smile:

BTW, this job is left up to biologists and not physicists. :tongue2:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  4. Sep 20, 2004 #3
    This may be possible put im not to sure how... im pretty sure that if we implemented that DNA into humans, im only saying this in this case, that it wouldnt work as the entire cell structure would change as it is chemical properties that make it resistant so we would need and have new chemicals going around that would probably ruin everything

5. Sep 25, 2004 #4
    umm, we use more radiative devices and absorb more radiation in 1 day than we would if we has properly shielded nuclear reactors on transportation and no other radiative devices.

educate yourself on nuclear power and radiation and the amount we take in from coal on a daily basis before you make a decision on nuclear power....

also, look into thorium based nuclear reactors, much more friendly to the environment and the the political world. plus, with a fully nuclear based energy supply, we could split water and use H2 as a container for the energy rather than having to have nuclear reactors everywhere.

6. Oct 5, 2004 #5
    didn't they use to make spark plugs with Po-210?
    http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/084/index.s7.html
    They used their radioactivity as a selling point.
    I don't know why they thought they were better spark plugs.
    Maybe it had something to do with a flawed mental connection between the anti-static properties and sparking in a car's cylinder.

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6

I'd say that it was due to the era and nuclear/radioactive mania that made them think it was a good idea. Tesla, a very brilliant man, used to bombard his head with x-rays because he believed that it stimulated neural activity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?