Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Protection from civil law suites

1. Aug 20, 2005 #1
    Just thinking about those people like Eminem who people keep trying to sue, and end up having to pay huge amounts of money in legal bills to defend themselves. I was wondering if there are any laws to protect someone from having to pay this if they are found.. (whatever the civil-law equivalent of not-guilty is) anywhere, and wether anyone thinks we should/shouldn't have one.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2
    Anybody can sue ... It's a right.

However, there are a few things protecting the 'defendant':

The person can be fined for presenting a frivilous or malicious lawsuit.
    The person who loses is often required to pay the defendant's costs.
    The person suing opens themselves to a countersuit.​

4. Aug 20, 2005 #3
    :tongue2: I'm looking for a 3 BR (mother-in) law suite

5. Aug 20, 2005 #4
    Of course.
    This is.. China? The US? I'm not aware of any such laws in Canada, and will be looking into it.

6. Aug 20, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

In the US, if you fail to sue someone, they can sue you back for legal fees. Thats one method I know of

7. Aug 20, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Doesn't do you much good when the person who brought suit doesn't have enough money to cover your legal fees.

8. Aug 20, 2005 #7
    Actually it does because the courts can then garnish their wages for the rest of their lives.

It may not solve your immediate problem but it can sure give you a feeling of satisfaction knowing that you made their lives a living hell.

Think of that woman who sued Wendy's over the errant finger ... she's going to do TIME!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?