Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Protein of life, protein of death

1. Dec 9, 2003 #1

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20031209/02

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems like all the apoptosis factors (like AIF) are necessary for life..... interesting, isn't it? I wonder if we'll make any progress on our quest for immortality with these kinds of roadblocks.

- Warren

4. Dec 9, 2003 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scientist new that apoptosis was important during embryogenesis but I think that the importance migth be greater than we thought.

This is by not mean a roadblock to me for the quest to delaye aging, it is just a unexpected detour we have to take.

5. Dec 10, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some scientists have proposed that our age limit is set in our lysosomes, how well we are able to regenerate and refresh all the biomolecules in our cells. Think about your neurons, those have to live for 70 years and not with the same constituents that you were born with. I have got a number somewhere how fast the proteins on a membrane get regenerated, I'll have to look that up.

When the lysosomes start to accumulate waste materials, a cell begins to function less efficiently and will eventually die. I have never heard of any research into this mechanism of death, but if we have the quest for immortality, this would be an important thing to consider.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?