Proto-typing Wire: 0.25mm^2 or Less?

• Thread starter Adder_Noir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on the appropriate size of wire to use for building prototype breadboards and where to purchase it. Another speaker recommends using 30AWG wire wrap wire or 24AWG solid wire, specifically the Kynar insulated type. This type of wire allows for easier stripping and is available at Digikey, Mouser, and other electronics stores. The original speaker expresses gratitude for the recommendation and plans to purchase the suggested wire.
Adder_Noir
Hi,

In my last job the repair chap was always 'lashing-up' buggered pathways with very fine aluminium wire maybe say what looked like 0.25mm^2 or less. Does anyone know for sure what size of wire I should use for building prototype breadboards, and where can I get some?

Thanks,

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
I usually use 30AWG wire wrap wire, especially the Kynar insulated type. That's for when I'm soldering small-signal stuff on a prototype board (usually it's 0.1" centered holes, plated through, with ground plane on one side). For plug-boards, I use 24AWG solid wire.

The nice thing about the Kynar wire wrap wire, is that you can strip one end twice the length of a normal strip, then cut the wire to length, and hold the stripped end with your tweezers and roll/push the insulation 1/2 way up so that now both ends are stripped. Much easier than trying to strip the 2nd end of a dinky piece of wire that is no longer attached to the spool.

Digikey and Mouser both carry wire, as would Radio Shacks or Frys or other general electronics stores.

Just bought some of the stuff you told me about after seeing your post, thanks for the recommendation :wink:

1. What is proto-typing wire?

Proto-typing wire is a thin, insulated wire that is used for creating prototypes of electronic circuits and devices. It is typically used for testing and experimentation before finalizing a design.

2. What is the size of a 0.25mm^2 proto-typing wire?

A 0.25mm^2 proto-typing wire has a cross-sectional area of 0.25 square millimeters. This is a very small size and is commonly used for delicate electronic projects.

3. What types of projects can be prototyped with 0.25mm^2 or less wire?

0.25mm^2 or less proto-typing wire is commonly used for small-scale electronic projects such as sensors, LED displays, and microcontrollers. It is also commonly used in robotics and DIY electronics.

4. What are the benefits of using 0.25mm^2 or less proto-typing wire?

One of the main benefits of using 0.25mm^2 or less proto-typing wire is its small size, which allows for a more compact and precise design. It is also flexible and easy to work with, making it ideal for prototyping intricate electronic projects.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using 0.25mm^2 or less proto-typing wire?

The main drawback of using 0.25mm^2 or less proto-typing wire is its limited current-carrying capacity. Due to its small size, it may not be suitable for high-power applications. It is important to carefully consider the power requirements of your project before using this wire.