Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proto-typing Wire

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    Hi,

In my last job the repair chap was always 'lashing-up' buggered pathways with very fine aluminium wire maybe say what looked like 0.25mm^2 or less. Does anyone know for sure what size of wire I should use for building prototype breadboards, and where can I get some?

Thanks,

Chris

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I usually use 30AWG wire wrap wire, especially the Kynar insulated type. That's for when I'm soldering small-signal stuff on a prototype board (usually it's 0.1" centered holes, plated through, with ground plane on one side). For plug-boards, I use 24AWG solid wire.

The nice thing about the Kynar wire wrap wire, is that you can strip one end twice the length of a normal strip, then cut the wire to length, and hold the stripped end with your tweezers and roll/push the insulation 1/2 way up so that now both ends are stripped. Much easier than trying to strip the 2nd end of a dinky piece of wire that is no longer attached to the spool.

Digikey and Mouser both carry wire, as would Radio Shacks or Frys or other general electronics stores.

4. May 25, 2007 #3
    Just bought some of the stuff you told me about after seeing your post, thanks for the recommendation :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?