Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton 4% smaller

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1
    First of all, do you believe the new measurements are accurate and the proton is actually 4% smaller. If you do, What implications do you think this will have?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2010 #2
    Hmmm, the old "does size matter?" question. Why not ask the electron, since she is his natural mate?

4. Aug 6, 2010 #3
    lol, I don't think she'd notice if he's 4% smaller.

5. Aug 6, 2010 #4
    lmao... nice guys... hey all first post.

honestly i think its too soon to go around saying the new size is accurate.

6. Aug 8, 2010 #5
    Hm, I've always thought quantum mechanics didn't allow precise lenght measurements.
    If it is hard to define what is the size of an atom, I'm wondering how to define a proton's size.

Where have you found this news?

7. Aug 8, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It doesn't allow simultaneous precise measurements of observables that don't commute.

8. Aug 8, 2010 #7
  9. Aug 8, 2010 #8
  10. Aug 8, 2010 #9
    @zhermes
    Thank you! I didn't know such definitions existed - I know very little QM, indeed.

11. Aug 8, 2010 #10
    @Acut
    np. The concept of "boundaries" in general is pretty wild. The table I'm writing on, has no clear boundaries: the surface is just the average location at which the electrons in my hands strongly repel the electrons in the wood. Our E&M fields interact at all distances, and with enough force we could become arbitrarily "close."
    Crazy stuff! :)

12. Aug 8, 2010 #11
    @zhermes
    Yes, there are no sharp boundaries. In one of Feynman's lectures on Physics, a entire section is used to illustrate those blurred definitions.

By the way, I forgot asking... @ OP: where have you read about those new measurements?

13. Aug 9, 2010 #12
    I'm not the OP (obviously), but I read about it http://www.physorg.com/news197727820.html" [Broken] last month.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Aug 9, 2010 #13

alxm

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook