Solve Proton Bombardment Homework: Find Vf in m/s

• Thread starter kontroll2007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, a proton with a mass of 1.45*10^-27 kg is propelled towards a uranium nucleus with an initial speed of 3.99*10^5 m/s. The uranium nucleus remains at rest and the proton is repelled with a force of magnitude F = a/x^2, where x is the separation between the two objects and a = 2.12*10^-26 Nm2. The speed of the proton when it is 8.79*10^-10 m from the nucleus is found by using the equations F = a/x^2, W = F*D, and KE = .5*m*Vf^2-.5*m*Vi^2. However, to find
kontroll2007

Homework Statement

A proton with mass 1.45*10^-27 kg is propelled at an initial speed of 3.99*10^5 m/s directly toward a uranium nucleus 5.16 m away. The proton is repelled by the uranium nucleus with a force of magnitude F = a/x^2 where x is the separation between the two objects and a = 2.12 *10^-26 Nm2. Assume that the uranium nucleus remains at rest. What is the speed of the proton when it is 8.79 *10^-10 m from the nucleus?

Give your answer in m/s in scientific notation to three significant digits (i.e. 1.15*10^2)

Note: The numbers given in this problem do not represent actual figures, instead this is to be thought of as a theoretical calculation.

Homework Equations

F = a/x^2
W = F*D
KE = .5*m*Vf^2-.5*m*Vi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = a/x^2
F = 2.12 *10^-26/(8.79 *10^-10)^2 = 2.7438*10^-8 N
W = F*D
W = 2.7438*10^-8*(5.16 - 8.79 *10^-10) = 1.4158*10^-7 J
KE = .5*m*Vf^2-.5*m*Vi^2
1.4158*10^-7 = .5(1.45*10^-27)Vf^2-(.5)(1.45*10^-27)(3.99*10^5)^2
Vf^2 = 1.95285*10^20
Vf = 1.397410*10^10 m/s

The correct answer is supposed to be 3.55*10^5 m/s, no matter how many times I try to work this problem out I cannot every arrive at the correct value for Vf.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to integrate the force eqn wrt dist to find the work done. The force is a function of dist, not constant.

Otherwise, use the concept of PE and KE which you must have learned in electrostatics.

I believe there may be an error in the values given in the problem. It is also possible that there is a mistake in my calculations, but I have checked multiple times and cannot find any errors. I would suggest double checking the values given and the equations used to ensure accuracy.

1. What is proton bombardment?

Proton bombardment is a process in which high-energy protons are directed at a target material. This can result in nuclear reactions, changes in the atomic structure of the material, and the production of new particles.

2. Why is it important to solve proton bombardment homework?

Solving proton bombardment homework allows scientists to understand and predict the effects of high-energy protons on different materials. This is important in fields such as nuclear physics, materials science, and radiation therapy.

3. What is Vf in the context of proton bombardment homework?

In the context of proton bombardment homework, Vf refers to the final velocity of the particles after they have undergone a nuclear reaction or collision. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How do you calculate Vf in proton bombardment homework?

The calculation of Vf in proton bombardment homework involves using conservation of momentum and energy equations. The mass and initial velocity of the particles are also taken into account. It is important to use the correct units and values in the calculation.

5. What are some real-world applications of proton bombardment?

Proton bombardment has a wide range of applications, including in the production of medical isotopes for imaging and cancer treatment, as a tool for materials analysis and modification, and in the study of nuclear reactions and high-energy physics.