Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Proton breeding in Oxygen

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    Question, let's say I'm in space and I have acces to fast nuclear reactor and a lot of Liquid Oxygen, could I convert a decent portion of the neutron into Protons using Oxygen 16 Neutron activation? How effective would it be?

I found the following document on Oxygen neutron activation:

http://www.irpa.net/irpa1/cdrom/VOL.2/R2_7.PDF

Edit2: Alternatively, what If the LqdOxygen was used as a shield agains D-T fusion fast neutron

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

See Figure 9: If you have very high-energetic neutrons, you can get some 16O + n -> 16N + p reactions, but most of the time the neutrons will lose their energy before they do that. The protons will also have a lower energy, and you need the neutrons for tritium breeding in D-T-fusion.
    I would expect hydrogen to be a better shield, but everything that can scatter, slow or absorb neutrons acts as shielding.

4. Jul 16, 2016 #3
    Ok, I 'm trying to understand, but could you make me understand the Graphs and Tables better

At figure 9, in the left sifr of th graph we can see the letters "mb", does this stand for Cross section in micro barn ?

At figure 10 at column En = 14 MVe , what do the sub columns Emax and Rmax stand for?

5. Jul 16, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

m=milli
    µ=micro
    Doesn't matter much as only relative values matter.
    The maximal energies and ranges of the emitted particles in living tissue, see the description below the table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted