Can Liquid Oxygen Be Used for Proton Breeding in Space via Neutron Activation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting neutrons into protons using Oxygen 16 neutron activation in space with the use of a fast nuclear reactor and a large amount of Liquid Oxygen. The effectiveness of this method is also questioned. The document provided on Oxygen neutron activation is referenced, as well as the use of Liquid Oxygen as a shield against fast neutrons in D-T fusion. The conversation also delves into understanding graphs and tables related to this topic, including the representation of cross section in micro barn and the meaning of the sub columns Emax and Rmax in figure 10.
Sebastiaan
Question, let's say I'm in space and I have acces to fast nuclear reactor and a lot of Liquid Oxygen, could I convert a decent portion of the neutron into Protons using Oxygen 16 Neutron activation? How effective would it be?

I found the following document on Oxygen neutron activation:

http://www.irpa.net/irpa1/cdrom/VOL.2/R2_7.PDF

Edit2: Alternatively, what If the LqdOxygen was used as a shield agains D-T fusion fast neutron

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
See Figure 9: If you have very high-energetic neutrons, you can get some 16O + n -> 16N + p reactions, but most of the time the neutrons will lose their energy before they do that. The protons will also have a lower energy, and you need the neutrons for tritium breeding in D-T-fusion.
Sebastiaan said:
Edit2: Alternatively, what If the LqdOxygen was used as a shield agains D-T fusion fast neutron
I would expect hydrogen to be a better shield, but everything that can scatter, slow or absorb neutrons acts as shielding.

Ok, I 'm trying to understand, but could you make me understand the Graphs and Tables better

At figure 9, in the left sifr of th graph we can see the letters "mb", does this stand for Cross section in micro barn ?

At figure 10 at column En = 14 MVe , what do the sub columns Emax and Rmax stand for?

Sebastiaan said:
At figure 9, in the left sifr of th graph we can see the letters "mb", does this stand for Cross section in micro barn ?
m=milli
µ=micro
Doesn't matter much as only relative values matter.
Sebastiaan said:
At figure 10 at column En = 14 MVe , what do the sub columns Emax and Rmax stand for?
The maximal energies and ranges of the emitted particles in living tissue, see the description below the table.

1. What is proton breeding in oxygen?

Proton breeding in oxygen is a process in which protons are produced by the interaction between high-energy oxygen ions and a target material. This process is used in particle accelerators to produce intense proton beams for various research purposes.

2. How does proton breeding in oxygen work?

In proton breeding, high-energy oxygen ions are directed onto a target material, usually a metal like tungsten or titanium. The ions penetrate the target and interact with the nuclei of the atoms, causing them to break apart and release protons. These protons are then collected and accelerated to higher energies for experimental use.

3. What are the potential applications of proton breeding in oxygen?

Proton breeding in oxygen has a wide range of applications in scientific research. It can be used to study the structure of atomic nuclei, produce medical isotopes for cancer treatment, and create intense proton beams for particle physics experiments.

4. What are the advantages of using oxygen for proton breeding?

Oxygen is a commonly used target material for proton breeding due to its high nuclear charge, which makes it more efficient at producing protons compared to other elements. Additionally, oxygen is readily available and relatively inexpensive, making it a practical choice for research facilities.

5. Are there any safety concerns with proton breeding in oxygen?

Proton breeding in oxygen is generally considered safe, as long as proper precautions and safety protocols are followed. The high-energy particles involved in the process can be dangerous if not handled properly, but research facilities have strict safety measures in place to protect both workers and the environment.