Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton creation

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    Given sufficient energy a proton/antiproton pair can be created from photons in the laboratory.

Does the (apparently) slight bias exhibited in the big bang apply to the laboratory? In other words, the universe is seemingly not made of antimatter, only "matter."

Pushing this idea further, is each galaxy creating protons at its center from photons where most pairs immediately annihilate but due to the bias some protons do not annihilate? Almost every galaxy has a relativistic jet. Are quasars giant proton factories?

Would the bias toward "matter" and against "antimatter" have survived the big bang?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think anyone knows why there is a bias towards matter. There's nothing in the most current models of physics (that I know of) that provides an explanation.

As far as when this bias was created, or if it still exists, I again think very little is known, but if there is still a bias, then we should be able to detect it experimentally.

In fact I think there's at least talk of building a photon-photon collider to try and generate matter-antimatter pairs, and see this asymmetry first hand.
    http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v8/n6/full/nphoton.2014.95.html

It certainly would be a fascinating project, when someone does it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook