Can Proton-Electron Fusion Create a Neutron?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of bombarding a 1H target with an electron to form a neutron. It is determined that this reaction, known as scattering, can occur but requires an outgoing neutrino. It is also mentioned that the reaction is endothermic and cannot generate energy, but the energy of the electron could potentially be used to yield a neutron. The mechanism for this reaction is the weak interaction, as hinted by the term "inverse beta decay."
Relena
Is this reaction possible , i mean bombarding a 1H target with an electron to form a neutron

that's all what i want to know

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly. The reaction [itex]e + p \rightarrow n + \nu[/itex] can occur, but you need the outgoing neutrino. This would be called scattering and not fusion.

Google 'inverse beta decay' and you'll find your answer. :smile:

OK

the reaction it self to be defined as fusion or electron capture that's the point
I've read on wikipedia
If the energy difference between the parent atom and the daughter atom is less than 1.022 MeV, positron emission is forbidden and electron capture is the sole decay mode.

so the reaction p + e− → n + νe needs additonal energy to occur

i .e the mass of electron and proton still needs about 782.33 KeV to yield a neutron and an electron antineutrino

so the reaction can never generate energy as it is endothermic

but can the energy of electron be used , i mean an electron of around 800 KeV hitting a proton would this yield a neutron?

thanks alot

Relena said:
so the reaction can never generate energy as it is endothermic

but can the energy of electron be used , i mean an electron of around 800 KeV hitting a proton would this yield a neutron?

The reaction can take place, if that is what you are asking.

malawi_glenn said:
The reaction can take place, if that is what you are asking.

Ok but what's the mechanism?

Relena said:
Ok but what's the mechanism?

weak interaction, you got the hint "google 'inverse beta decay'"

1. Can proton-electron fusion create a neutron?

Yes, under certain conditions, proton-electron fusion can create a neutron. This process is known as electron capture, where a proton combines with an electron to form a neutron and a neutrino.

2. What are the required conditions for proton-electron fusion to create a neutron?

Proton-electron fusion can create a neutron if the proton is in a high-energy state and has a low enough kinetic energy for the electron to be captured. This typically occurs in extreme environments such as the core of a red giant star or during nuclear reactions in a particle accelerator.

3. Is proton-electron fusion a common process in nature?

No, proton-electron fusion is not a common process in nature. It requires extreme conditions that are not typically found in everyday environments. Additionally, most stable elements have an equal number of protons and neutrons, so there is no need for proton-electron fusion to create a neutron.

4. What is the role of neutrons in atoms?

Neutrons are important in atoms because they provide stability and help to control the rate of nuclear reactions. They also contribute to the mass of an atom and can determine the isotope of an element.

5. Are there any potential applications of proton-electron fusion creating a neutron?

Yes, there are potential applications of proton-electron fusion creating a neutron, such as in nuclear energy production and medical imaging. However, these applications are still in the early stages of research and development, and more studies are needed to fully understand the potential uses of this process.