1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton In A Magnetic Field

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    I've got two homework questions I don't really understand. Coming to the end of the year so my teacher is rushing through things and forgetting to give us all the notes we need..
    I think I need an equation to solve both of em, but I don't know what. Help/an explanation on how to do the problem is greatly appreciated. ^_^

#1) A proton moves at right angles to a magnetic field of .124 T with a speed of 2.3x10^7 m/s. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton.

#2) A proton moves eastward in the plane of Earth's magnetic equator so that its distance from the ground remains constant. Assume the Earth's magnetic field at the equator is 3.23 x 10^-5 T. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the speed of the proton?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you covered [itex] {\vec F} = q {\vec v} \times {\vec B}[/itex]? That is all that is needed (this equation means that the *direction* is given by the right hand rule and the *magnitude* of the force is the absolute value of the charge times v B sin (theta) where theta is the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field. This is all you need.

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    @_@ Haven't covered that.

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:surprised Then it is very strange that he expects you to do those problems if you haven't even seen the basic equation needed!!! I unfortunately don't have the time right now to explain it in details. You shoudl look at your textbook, I am sure they show examples!!

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5
    Well, the problems come from an online problem set, and my teacher doesn't really look at the specific problems. And it *is* optional, but I want to do it to help my grade...
    I got em right, with further help from the textbook. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?