1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton in a magnetic field

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a circular magnetic field and a proton (A) a distance Ra from the center of the circle. The magnetic field is traveling into the page and is decreasing at some rate B(t). I have the radius of the circle Rb.

The question is that when the proton is released, what happens to the proton?

2. Relevant equations

F = qv x b
    Right Hand Rule

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure that with a changing magnetic field, it will create an induced current/magnetic field that will exert a force on it. Its not a mathematical problem necessarily i just need to know what happens to the proton. in the midst of a changing magnetic field.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    is the proton moving?

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    well i assume it starts as stationary because the problems says "when the proton is released". so no i dont think theres a velocity vector to it.

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The changing magnetic field will create an electric field (induced EMF).

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    so the induced EMF (E) will exert a force on the proton F=qE then?

So... i use faraday's law to determine the E and just multiply it by q?

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Right. But as soon as it starts moving there will be a magnetic force on the proton as well.

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7
    so at the end of the day.

the induced emf (the E field) will exert a force on the proton, but as the proton moves, there will be a magnetic force on the proton (cross product of its velocity and the magnetic field)?

in terms of vectors then...can i expect it to move wherever the resultant of the summed E and B field vector?

9. Apr 21, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Sounds good.

You can expect that the net force on it will be the vector sum of the electric and magnetic forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?