What Happens When a Proton is Released in a Changing Magnetic Field?

In summary, a proton released in a circular magnetic field with a decreasing rate will experience an induced electric field that will exert a force on it. As the proton moves, there will also be a magnetic force on it. The net force on the proton will be the vector sum of the electric and magnetic forces.
oh.rry21

Homework Statement

I have a circular magnetic field and a proton (A) a distance Ra from the center of the circle. The magnetic field is traveling into the page and is decreasing at some rate B(t). I have the radius of the circle Rb.

The question is that when the proton is released, what happens to the proton?

Homework Equations

F = qv x b
Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that with a changing magnetic field, it will create an induced current/magnetic field that will exert a force on it. Its not a mathematical problem necessarily i just need to know what happens to the proton. in the midst of a changing magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
is the proton moving?

well i assume it starts as stationary because the problems says "when the proton is released". so no i don't think there's a velocity vector to it.

The changing magnetic field will create an electric field (induced EMF).

so the induced EMF (E) will exert a force on the proton F=qE then?

So... i use faraday's law to determine the E and just multiply it by q?

oh.rry21 said:
so the induced EMF (E) will exert a force on the proton F=qE then?

So... i use faraday's law to determine the E and just multiply it by q?
Right. But as soon as it starts moving there will be a magnetic force on the proton as well.

so at the end of the day.

the induced emf (the E field) will exert a force on the proton, but as the proton moves, there will be a magnetic force on the proton (cross product of its velocity and the magnetic field)?

in terms of vectors then...can i expect it to move wherever the resultant of the summed E and B field vector?

oh.rry21 said:
so at the end of the day.

the induced emf (the E field) will exert a force on the proton, but as the proton moves, there will be a magnetic force on the proton (cross product of its velocity and the magnetic field)?
Sounds good.

in terms of vectors then...can i expect it to move wherever the resultant of the summed E and B field vector?
You can expect that the net force on it will be the vector sum of the electric and magnetic forces.

1. What is a proton in a magnetic field?

A proton in a magnetic field refers to the behavior of a positively charged particle, known as a proton, when placed in the presence of a magnetic field. The magnetic field can either be created by a permanent magnet or by an electric current.

2. How does a proton behave in a magnetic field?

A proton in a magnetic field will experience a force known as the Lorentz force, which causes it to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field. The speed and radius of the circular path depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the proton.

3. Why does a proton move in a circular path in a magnetic field?

This circular motion is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the positively charged proton. The magnetic field exerts a force on the proton, causing it to change direction and move in a circular path.

4. What is the significance of studying a proton in a magnetic field?

Studying a proton in a magnetic field can provide insights into the properties of the proton and the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields. This is important in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect a proton's behavior?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force exerted on the proton and, therefore, its speed and radius of circular motion. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger force and a smaller radius of motion, while a weaker magnetic field will have the opposite effect.