How Does the Proton-Proton Cycle Result in the Formation of Helium?

In summary, the proton-proton cycle involves the fusion of 6 protons to form 2 helium-3 nuclei, which then combine to form helium-4 and 2 protons. This can be expressed as a net reaction of 6 1H → 4He + 2 1H.
logearav

Homework Statement

Dear members,
In proton proton cycle, Two protons fuse together to form a duetron with positron and nuetrino.
Then duetron combine with another proton to form 2He3, which then combines with another 2He3 to give 2He4
The final reaction is
41H1+2e---> 2He4

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Only three protons fuse together in the process, then how in the final equation it has been stated 4 protons fuse. For 2He3 to combine with 2He3 , the reaction of proton fusing with another proton, giving duetron, which fusing with another proton, should happen twice. So it is 6 protons fusing. So why its been mentioned only 4 protons fuse to form helium. Please help revered members

Attachments

• 23366.nce001.jpg
    23366.nce001.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 419
  • ppf3.gif
    ppf3.gif
    360 bytes · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
logearav said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution
Only three protons fuse together in the process, then how in the final equation it has been stated 4 protons fuse. For 2He3 to combine with 2He3 , the reaction of proton fusing with another proton, giving duetron, which fusing with another proton, should happen twice. So it is 6 protons fusing. So why its been mentioned only 4 protons fuse to form helium. Please help revered members

6 protons fuse to form 2 helium-3 nuclei. Then the two helium-3 nuclei form helium-4 plus 2 protons.

Alternatively, you might write a net reaction that doesn't include 2 of the original 6 protons -- in which case you wouldn't have the 2 protons that are left over in the end.

6 protons fuse to form 2 helium-3 nuclei. Then the two helium-3 nuclei form helium-4 plus 2 protons.

Redbelly98 said:
Alternatively, you might write a net reaction that doesn't include 2 of the original 6 protons -- in which case you wouldn't have the 2 protons that are left over in the end.
Thanks for the reply sir. But i didnt understand the lines quoted above.

Is this a homework problem? I am having trouble understanding exactly what the problem is asking, or whether you are just trying to understand for yourself what happens in nuclear fusion.

Sir, i am asking to get clarified, because my teacher has not given satisfactory reply. I got 90% of what you said, but i can't understand the lines you have written which i quoted in my previous query.
Thanks again. This is the forum which gives excellent insights to physics, that's why i keep raising my query

logearav said:
Okay, so omit the intermediate products (He-3 nuclei) and write that as
6 1H → 4He + 2 1H (+ energy, positrons, and neutrinos)
We have hydrogen nuclei on both sides of the reaction, so we can take away 21H from each side. That leaves us with the net reaction.

Mr.Redbelly, Fantastic. I got it now. Thank you so much, sir

1. What is the "proton-proton cycle" and what is its significance in astrophysics?

The proton-proton cycle is a nuclear reaction that occurs in the cores of stars, including our own sun. It is the primary process by which stars generate energy, converting hydrogen into helium through a series of fusion reactions. This cycle is essential for maintaining the stability and heat production of stars, making it a crucial concept in astrophysics and our understanding of the universe.

2. How does the proton-proton cycle work?

The proton-proton cycle begins with two protons fusing together to form a deuterium nucleus, releasing a positron and a neutrino as byproducts. This deuterium nucleus then combines with another proton to form a helium-3 nucleus. The helium-3 nucleus then fuses with another helium-3 nucleus to form helium-4, releasing two protons in the process. These protons can then continue the cycle, starting the process over again. Overall, this cycle converts four protons into one helium-4 nucleus, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

3. What conditions are necessary for the proton-proton cycle to occur?

The proton-proton cycle requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, typically found in the core of stars. The temperature must reach at least 10 million degrees Celsius for the fusion reactions to occur. Additionally, the protons must be close enough together for the strong nuclear force to overcome their mutual repulsion and allow them to fuse.

4. How is the energy released in the proton-proton cycle utilized by stars?

The energy released in the proton-proton cycle is in the form of gamma rays, which are high-energy photons. These photons travel outward from the core of the star and eventually reach the surface, where they are emitted as visible light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. This is the energy that allows stars to shine and sustain life on Earth.

5. Are there any variations of the proton-proton cycle?

Yes, there are variations of the proton-proton cycle that occur in different types of stars. For example, in larger and hotter stars, the CNO cycle (carbon-nitrogen-oxygen cycle) becomes the dominant source of energy production. This cycle involves fusing carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen nuclei instead of just protons, and it is more efficient at generating energy. However, the basic principles of converting hydrogen into helium through nuclear fusion remain the same in all variations of the proton-proton cycle.