1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton scattering

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    50uA beam of 1MeV proton
    Target = Iron of 0.05um thick
    Calculate scattered current density at distance 5 cm at 20 degrees angle

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sigma(E,\theta)[/tex] = [tex]\pi*Z_{1}Z_{2}e^{4}(M_{1}/M_{2})/ET^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured the probability of scattering to the angle is [tex]\frac{\int^{20}_{20}\sigma(E,\theta)d\Omega}{\int^{\pi}_{0}\sigma(E,\theta)d\Omega}[/tex]

Then how do i find the scattered current density with the info I have?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expression you've written down will give you an answer of 0 (zero) - since the probability of scattering exactly into a specified angle will be zero (as you can see from the limits of your integral)...but the probability density will not be zero. You need to find the current density, which is proportional to the probability density.

So, the correct term in the numberator is: [itex]\sigma(E,\theta=20)[/itex]

In any case, I don't know what the terms in the given equation represent, and I don't see where the angular dependence (I expect there should be a [itex]1-cos\theta[/itex] factor somewhere) is embedded.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?