Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Protons by ZnS:Ag

1. Aug 10, 2018 at 7:31 AM #1
    Hi

I need to know if a thin mylar film with deposited ZnS:Ag is capable to detect low energy protons, say 10 keV, emitted in a high vacuum.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2018 at 1:26 PM #2
    This is just a guess but I would say yes if the proton do not have to pass through the mylar.

4. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:15 PM #3
    I think ZnS:Ag has a peak sensitivity to ~5 MeV alpha particles. A 10 keV proton probably wouldn't be energetic enough to detect.

5. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM #4
    gleem, websterling,
    Thanks to you both.
    A friend of mine is building a Cockroft-Walton accelerator, now at the ion source stage.
    The ion source is delivering 1mA of ions, and 4 inches below the extraction electrode he placed a thin mylar covered with ZnS:Ag.
    It fluoresces strongly and the invisible beam can be displaced with a strong magnet.
    So, there are ions and fluorescence, under 10 kV.
    The system has some leaks, so it is not fed only with H2, there is some air also. At first I guessed was UV-induced fluorescence but the magnet move the beam. ion beam.jpg
    See the attached image. At the center of the electrode there is a small piece of the mylar as well a "collar" outside it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted