Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prototype building

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    im a biologist not working at present]who has an idea for a lab system.Im not sure how to find a reputable engineering firm to build a prototype..The physics end of things involves laminar air flow and current and air pressure analysis.
    Pls advise
    Thank you so much
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2
    how do I find a freelancer among college professionals?
  4. Jul 30, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Iyun.
    First and foremost, make sure that anyone you approach signs a non-disclosure agreement before you divulge any details. That will protect any future patent rights if your idea turns out to be lucrative.
  5. Jul 31, 2007 #4
    thank you verymuch
    I do have an NDA
    There are however a lot of firms out there but its difficult to find one with has the expertise/know how with respect to air flow patterns/pressure/currents that Im looking for
    Thank you
  6. Jul 31, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Have you considered approaching a high-level student as opposed to a 'professional'? As Brewnog ably demonstrated before his graduation, there's a lot of heavy talent out there without the final paperwork in place.
  7. Jul 31, 2007 #6
    sure,where can i find someone who is interested in this aspect of engineering?
  8. Jul 31, 2007 #7

Gold Member

Maybe right here. PF is full of all sorts of experts. It would help if you let us know where you live.
    You could visit your local university and post ads on some bulletin boards or even in the student newspaper. If you get a nibble, conduct an interview with both the respondent and others in his/her department who can give an impartial evaluation of his/her abilities.
    If you do want to go with a professional, maybe call a reputable patent attorney and ask for a recommendation. Most of them have experience with prototype builders.
  9. Aug 13, 2007 #8
    Sorry Ive been away
    Thank you for your response
  10. Aug 31, 2007 #9
    thank you p3
    im based in the usa ,but thanks all the same
  11. Mar 13, 2008 #10
    can you tell me about how to prototype a 5v power supply and which components i must use and tell me thier sizes
  12. Mar 13, 2008 #11
    hi iam a student i want to know how to prototype a 5v power supply and plz give me circuit for it.
  13. Mar 13, 2008 #12
    im leaving in east london
  14. Mar 13, 2008 #13
    in east london
  15. Mar 13, 2008 #14
  16. Mar 13, 2008 #15

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, lusy. You will get a better response in the future if you post a new thread with your question, rather than posting a reply to an old thread. In answer to your question, you can read about Linear Power Supplies at this beginning page, and follow the links to learn more. You can also do a google search on LM7805, and read the datasheet and application notes for the LM7805 linear voltage regulator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?