Proud Mama

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

My daughter got a letter of acceptance to her college of choice yesterday! Woo-hoo!

I'm so very proud of her :approve:. But...the house will feel so empty, I sure am going to miss her...:cry:.

Answers and Replies

Congratulations! it's a good feeling for both parties.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
My daughter got a letter of acceptance to her college of choice yesterday! Woo-hoo!

I'm so very proud of her :approve:. But...the house will feel so empty, I sure am going to miss her...:cry:.
Try not to wear out the telephone, darling, she'll be home again for the Easter holidays. :smile:

Evo
Mentor
That great news lisab!!!

turbo
Gold Member
Yay! Congratulations to her!

Borek
Mentor
Congratulations!

But...the house will feel so empty, I sure am going to miss her...:cry:.
Think about all things you will be now able to do any time you want, not only time you can.

Dembadon
Gold Member
Occasions like this can be bittersweet for a parent; you are joyful for the success of your child, but also (understandably) a bit sad that they will not be around as much anymore.

Congratulations to the both of you!

Edit: As Moonbear stated, the adjustment will be quick. :smile: Best wishes to Mollymae and her academic pursuits!

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Congrats to you and your daughter (even though you can't possibly be old enough to have a daughter entering college. :wink:). I think that empty nest syndrome thing only lasts about as long as the kids are homesick after going off to college, which is to say that before a week is out, you'll be running around partying again. :biggrin:

Congratualtions Lisa! I hope she does science! :)

Yippie!

Just remember how much homemade goodies in care packages mean... and you'll get regular calls. :biggrin:

drizzle
Gold Member
congratulations!! to both of you :smile:

welcome to PF Mollymae :)

turbo
Gold Member
Mollymae, did mom try to steer you to engineering at the University of Maine, Orono? They have a wonderful research/development program in composites there.

Thanks everyone :) I'm sure I will feel homesick too, but I still can't wait!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Congrats to you both.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Um - PF is a click away.

turbo
Gold Member
I was always close to my family, and because I could hitchhike home on weekends (when I didn't have paying gigs lined up) and holidays, I chose UMO. I had math scholarship offers at MSU and UofA, and a promising deal at MIT, but family kept me close. Air-travel was very expensive in the 60's and I never could have afforded to get home much from out-of-state universities.

You'll have new friends, new opportunities, and your studies, so time will fly. Don't forget to call Mama Basil regularly and keep her in the loop. She'll probably feel the separation more than you will.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Congratulations to both of you!

We have to get mollymae hooked on PF so that lisab will know where to checkup on... uh, I mean, find her. :biggrin:

Congrats Mollymae! Have fun and don't get into too much trouble.

Parents, especially good ones, are a rare breed.

I hope she remembers to study! Reflect on mementos of her around the house.

Congrats to you both!

And I agree with Moonbear. Lisa, you cannot possibly be old enough to have a college-aged daughter.

even though you can't possibly be old enough to have a daughter entering college. :wink:
We can keep that a secret :biggrin:

Congratulations Lisab and mollymae!

Borek
Mentor
college-aged
Sincere question from the other side of the pond - how much is that?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Congatulations, mollymae!

Sincere question from the other side of the pond - how much is that?
Here kids usually graduate high school (am unsure of the equivalent there) at eighteen and can go straight to college from there. Some wait until nineteen and some graduate early and go to college at sixteen or seventeen.