Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proud Mama

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter got a letter of acceptance to her college of choice yesterday! Woo-hoo!

I'm so very proud of her :approve:. But...the house will feel so empty, I sure am going to miss her...:cry:.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Congratulations! it's a good feeling for both parties.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Try not to wear out the telephone, darling, she'll be home again for the Easter holidays. :smile:

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That great news lisab!!!

6. Nov 19, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Yay! Congratulations to her!

7. Nov 19, 2009 #6

Borek

Congratulations!

Think about all things you will be now able to do any time you want, not only time you can.

8. Nov 19, 2009 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

Occasions like this can be bittersweet for a parent; you are joyful for the success of your child, but also (understandably) a bit sad that they will not be around as much anymore.

Congratulations to the both of you!

Edit: As Moonbear stated, the adjustment will be quick. :smile: Best wishes to Mollymae and her academic pursuits!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  9. Nov 19, 2009 #8
  10. Nov 19, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats to you and your daughter (even though you can't possibly be old enough to have a daughter entering college. :wink:). I think that empty nest syndrome thing only lasts about as long as the kids are homesick after going off to college, which is to say that before a week is out, you'll be running around partying again. :biggrin:

11. Nov 19, 2009 #10
    Congratualtions Lisa! I hope she does science! :)

12. Nov 19, 2009 #11
    Yippie!

Just remember how much homemade goodies in care packages mean... and you'll get regular calls. :biggrin:

13. Nov 19, 2009 #12

drizzle

Gold Member

congratulations!! to both of you :smile:

welcome to PF Mollymae :)

14. Nov 19, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Mollymae, did mom try to steer you to engineering at the University of Maine, Orono? They have a wonderful research/development program in composites there.

15. Nov 19, 2009 #14
    Thanks everyone :) I'm sure I will feel homesick too, but I still can't wait!

16. Nov 19, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Congrats to you both.

17. Nov 19, 2009 #16

Astronuc

Um - PF is a click away.

18. Nov 19, 2009 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I was always close to my family, and because I could hitchhike home on weekends (when I didn't have paying gigs lined up) and holidays, I chose UMO. I had math scholarship offers at MSU and UofA, and a promising deal at MIT, but family kept me close. Air-travel was very expensive in the 60's and I never could have afforded to get home much from out-of-state universities.

You'll have new friends, new opportunities, and your studies, so time will fly. Don't forget to call Mama Basil regularly and keep her in the loop. She'll probably feel the separation more than you will.

19. Nov 19, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations to both of you!

We have to get mollymae hooked on PF so that lisab will know where to checkup on... uh, I mean, find her. :biggrin:

20. Nov 19, 2009 #19
    Congrats Mollymae! Have fun and don't get into too much trouble.

21. Nov 20, 2009 #20
    Parents, especially good ones, are a rare breed.

I hope she remembers to study! Reflect on mementos of her around the house.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook