How can 2^n > n be proven by induction?

• Thread starter Archetype2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
It's an easy exercise to show that the term with the highest power of 1 is 1^n, so all the other terms are smaller than this and the theorem follows.In summary, the mathematical induction method for proving inequalities involves showing that the statement is true for a base case, assuming it is true for n = k, and then using this to show that it is also true for n = k + 1. This can be done by multiplying both sides of the inequality by an appropriate factor. Alternatively, the same result can be proven using the binomial theorem to expand 2^n.
Archetype2

Homework Statement

prove 2^n > n by induction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my math class we start off assuming 2^n > n is true for n=k.
Then we try to prove that when n=k+1 the inequality is true. So,I
start off going, 2^(k+1) > (k+1) which is equivalent to 2*2^k > (k+1)

which is then equivalent to 2^k+2^k > (k+1) then my math teacher said

to make the next step which is, since we assumed that 2^k > k then 2^k

+ 2^k > k+k and then he said that k+k > (k+1) and that was the end of

the proof. I do not get this last part at all, since I thought that
when you prove something by induction, it's going to be proven for all
numbers but we only proved that the inequality is true for k>1

Physics news on Phys.org
There are all together 3 steps to the mathematical induction. You have left out the first step, namely showing the inequality holds true for the case when n = 1. Now, when n = 1, 2^1 = 2 > 1.

So he case is true when n = 1.

Then you proceed to the case where n = k, and finally n = k+1.

So when your k = 1 is true, (because you have shown that the inequality holds when n = k = 1), your k + 1 = 2 is also true.

When k = 2 is true, k + 1 = 3 is also true. And the rest is just like the dominoes effect.

I might be wrong, but that's my understanding regarding mathematical induction.

lkh1986 said:
There are all together 3 steps to the mathematical induction. You have left out the first step, namely showing the inequality holds true for the case when n = 1. Now, when n = 1, 2^1 = 2 > 1.
This is usually called the base case. It doesn't have to be for n = 1, but often is.
lkh1986 said:
So he case is true when n = 1.

Then you proceed to the case where n = k, and finally n = k+1.
The idea is that you assume that your statement is true for n = k (the induction hypothesis), and then use that to show that the statement is also true for n = k + 1.
lkh1986 said:
So when your k = 1 is true, (because you have shown that the inequality holds when n = k = 1), your k + 1 = 2 is also true.

When k = 2 is true, k + 1 = 3 is also true. And the rest is just like the dominoes effect.

I might be wrong, but that's my understanding regarding mathematical induction.

"The idea is that you assume that your statement is true for n = k (the induction hypothesis), and then use that to show that the statement is also true for n = k + 1."

Yes, I understand that this is the objective, but I am wondering if there is a general method of doing this and how you would you do it for 2^(k+1) > (k+1)

Archetype2 said:
"The idea is that you assume that your statement is true for n = k (the induction hypothesis), and then use that to show that the statement is also true for n = k + 1."

Yes, I understand that this is the objective, but I am wondering if there is a general method of doing this and how you would you do it for 2^(k+1) > (k+1)

Well, if it's true for n = k then

[tex]2^k > k[/tex]

Try multiplying both sides by something appropriate.

By the way, an interesting non-inductive way to prove the same thing is to expand

[tex]2^n = (1 + 1)^n[/tex]

using the binomial theorem.

1. What is the concept of induction in mathematics?

The concept of induction in mathematics is a method of proving statements or theorems by starting with a base case, typically the smallest possible value, and then showing that if the statement holds for that case, it also holds for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is shown to hold for all values.

2. How does induction apply to proving 2^n > n?

In this case, we can start with the base case n = 1, where 2^1 = 2 > 1. Then, we assume that the statement holds for some arbitrary value k, which means that 2^k > k. Using this assumption, we can then prove that the statement also holds for the next case, k+1, by showing that 2^(k+1) > k+1. This process can be repeated indefinitely, proving that the statement holds for all values of n.

3. What is the significance of 2^n > n?

This statement is significant because it demonstrates a fundamental property of exponential growth. As n gets larger, 2^n grows at a much faster rate than n, which means that 2^n will eventually surpass any value of n. This is an important concept in many fields, including computer science and economics.

4. Can the statement be proven using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this statement, such as direct proof or contradiction. However, using induction is often the most efficient and elegant way to prove statements like this that involve a recursive or repeating pattern.

5. How can we apply this concept to other mathematical problems?

Induction can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems, particularly those that involve sequences, series, and recursive functions. It is a powerful tool for proving statements that involve patterns or repeating structures, and is commonly used in both pure and applied mathematics.