1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove (a+b)!<a!b!2^(a+b) help please!

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    The actual question is prove that [tex] |\alpha|!\le n^{|\alpha|}\alpha![/tex] where
    [tex]\alpha=(\alpha_1,.....\alpha_n)[/tex] is a multi-index (all non-negative) and [tex]
    |\alpha|=\alpha_1+\cdots +\alpha_n [/tex] and [tex]\alpha!=\alpha_1!\cdots \alpha_n! [/tex] so I am trying to do it by induction on the number of elements [tex]n[/tex] in [tex]\alpha[/tex]...so I am trying to prove that [tex](a+b)!<2^{a+b}a!b! [/tex] I have tried to do this by induction on the value of b (the inequality is obvious for b=0 or 1), and other ways, but nothing is working (been trying for close to a week).

Can someone please help? :)

(ps. how do I make it so that after I write in latex it doesn't skip a line like that?)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you allowed to use Stirling approximation??

By the way, use [itex ] if you don't want newlines.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Anyway, if you're not allowed to use Stirling approximation, just notice that your inequality is equivalent to

[tex]\binom{a+b}{a}<2^{a+b}[/tex]

Now you can use a combinatorial argument.

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4
    I believe I am allowed to use stirling's approximation, can you suggest a way? (it's only approximate for large n).

Anyway, I will try the other way in the mean time, thanks.

6. Sep 12, 2011 #5
    Never mind, I got it! You were a huge help, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook