Proving a,b,c are in an AP: Solving 25(9a^2+b^2)+9c^2-15(5ab+bc+3ca)=0

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, I'm trying to solve a quadratic equation in x, but I'm not sure how to get started. Can you help me out?
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If a,b,c are real numbers satisfying the equation [itex]25(9a^2+b^2)+9c^2-15(5ab+bc+3ca)=0[/itex], then prove that a,b,c are in A.P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging the question I can say that I have to prove this
2b=a+c

I tried simplifying the terms and I arrived at this
[itex](15a+5b+3c)^2=45(5ab+bc+3ac)[/itex]

Any ideas how should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
If a,b,c are real numbers satisfying the equation [itex]25(9a^2+b^2)+9c^2-15(5ab+bc+3ca)=0[/itex], then prove that a,b,c are in Arithmetic Progression
[itex]25(9a^2+b^2)+9c^2-15(5ab+bc+3ca)=0[/itex]

Distribute.
[itex]225a^{2} + 25b^{2} + 9c^{2} - 75ab - 15bc - 45ac = 0[/itex]

Now comes the weird part. You don't need to know the values of a, b, and c if you want to prove that [itex]2b = a + c[/itex]. You just need to know the ratios between them.

Solve for a, b, and c in terms of each other. I decided to solve b and c in terms of a.

This way, we get [itex]b = 3a[/itex] and [itex]c = 5a - \frac{5\sqrt{-9 a^2 + 18a^{2} - (3a)^{2}}}{2\sqrt{3}} = 5a - \frac{5\sqrt{9a^{2} - 9a^{2}}}{2\sqrt{3}} = 5a[/itex]

Thus, [itex]2(3a) = a + 5a[/itex], ∴ [itex]2b = a + c[/itex]. QED.

Mandelbroth said:

Distribute.

Now comes the weird part. You don't need to know the values of a, b, and c if you want to prove that [itex]2b = a + c[/itex]. You just need to know the ratios between them.

Solve for a, b, and c in terms of each other. I decided to solve b and c in terms of a.

This way, we get [itex]b = 3a[/itex] and [itex]c = 5a - \frac{5\sqrt{-9 a^2 + 18a^{2} - (3a)^{2}}}{2\sqrt{3}} = 5a - \frac{5\sqrt{9a^{2} - 9a^{2}}}{2\sqrt{3}} = 5a[/itex]

You are not supposed to do a person's homework for them; hints only.

RGV

Mandelbroth said:

Distribute.

I simply can't understand what you're up to. Are you making a quadratic in b and then solving it? If yes then how did you get such a nice value? Mine becomes very long and complicated. The other possible situation I can think of is this.

Are you expanding it like this

[itex]15(15a^2-bc)+25b(b-3a)+9c(c-5a)=0[/itex]

and setting each of term equal to zero (Since sum of +ve numbers can't be 0 each term must be zero) and then obtaining values of b and c in terms of a. If this is the case then I've got it.

Last edited:
You can greatly simplify the expressions by making some simple substitutions for a, b and c.
Notice how wherever a appears there's a factor of 15 around? Similarly the other two variables.

haruspex said:
You can greatly simplify the expressions by making some simple substitutions for a, b and c.
Notice how wherever a appears there's a factor of 15 around? Similarly the other two variables.

Give me an example.

Rewrite the equation as (15a)2+(5b)2+9c2-(15a)(5b)-3(5b)c-3(15a)c=0
You can choose x=15a/c and y=5b/c as new variables.

The new equation is

x2+y2+9-xy-3y-3x=0

or x2-x(y+3)+y2-3y+9=0

It is a quadratic equation in x. The discriminant is D=(y+3)2-4(y2-3y+9)=-3(y2-6y+9), negative or zero. To get a solution, D must be zero, so y=3. That involves x= 3.

ehild

ehild said:
I had in mind something very similar: t = 15a, u =5b, v = 3c producing t2 + u2 + v2 = uv + vt + tu.
This can be turned into (t-u)2 + (u-v)2 + (v-t)2 = 0, which has only the solution t = u = v.

ehild said:
You can choose x=15a/c and y=5b/c as new variables.

The new equation is

x2+y2+9-xy-3y-3x=0

or x2-x(y+3)+y2-3y+9=0

It is a quadratic equation in x. The discriminant is D=(y+3)2-4(y2-3y+9)=-3(y2-6y+9), negative or zero. To get a solution, D must be zero, so y=3. That involves x= 3.

ehild

I always find your solutions to be better than others. You are a life-saver. Thank you so much for helping me!

To be fair, it was Haruspex's idea and his solution is the best:smile:.

ehild

1. What is an Arithmetic Progression (AP)?

An Arithmetic Progression (AP) is a sequence of numbers in which the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. In other words, each term in the sequence is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term.

2. How do you prove that a,b,c are in AP?

In order to prove that a,b,c are in AP, we need to show that the difference between any two consecutive terms (b-a) is equal to the difference between the next two terms (c-b). This can be done by using the formula for the nth term of an AP, which is given by: a + (n-1)d, where a is the first term and d is the common difference. If this formula holds true for all three terms, then we can conclude that a,b,c are in AP.

3. What is the importance of proving that a,b,c are in AP?

Proving that a,b,c are in AP is important because it helps us to understand and predict the behavior of a sequence of numbers. It also allows us to find missing terms in the sequence and make accurate predictions about future values. Additionally, proving that a,b,c are in AP can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Can you provide an example of a proof for a,b,c are in AP?

Yes, for example, let's consider the sequence 2, 6, 10. To prove that these numbers are in AP, we can use the formula a + (n-1)d with a = 2 and d = 4 (since the difference between any two consecutive terms is 4). So, the first term (a) is 2, the second term is 2 + 4 = 6, and the third term is 6 + 4 = 10. Therefore, we can see that the difference between any two consecutive terms is equal, which proves that 2, 6, 10 are in AP.

5. How is proving a,b,c are in AP related to other mathematical concepts?

Proving a,b,c are in AP is related to other mathematical concepts such as sequences, series, and linear equations. It is also connected to the concept of slope in geometry and can be used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function. Additionally, the study of APs is important in understanding more complex mathematical concepts like geometric progressions and Fibonacci sequences.