Proving Left Hand Limit using Epsilon-Delta Definition

• Thread starter TrueStar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand Limit
In summary, the statement is true if for every number \epsilon>0 there is a number \delta>0 such that if a-\delta<x<a then |f(x)-L|<\epsilon.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

Proove the statement using the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex] definition of a limit.

The limit of x as it approaches 9 from the left side of the x-axis is [tex]\sqrt[4]{9-x}[/tex]=0

Homework Equations

The limit of x as it approaches a from the left side of the x-axis is f(x) = L

if for every number [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0 there is a number [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that if

a-[tex]\delta[/tex]<x<a then |f(x)-L|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

9-[tex]\delta[/tex]<x<9 and |[tex]\sqrt[4]{9-x}[/tex]-0|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Using algebra, I've worked my way to |9-x|<[tex]\epsilon^{4}[/tex]. I'm not sure where to go with it now. Do I subtract the 9 over and then change the sign of x, ending up with |x|>-[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex]+9 ? That doesn't seem right to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can pick delta=episilon^4 and you are done.

That's great! However, I don't know why it's OK to stop there. Would anyone be kind enough to explain?

More specifically, why can I stop at |9-x| and how do I work my way back to verify that [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex] can be substituted for [tex]\delta[/tex]?

You can stop there because this is the precise definitionof a limit. We say limit as x approaches a f(x)=L if
When|f(x)-L|< episilon then |x-a|< delta.

If your case a=7 and delta = episilon^4.

Too lazy to use latex of my phone, sorry!

I believe it's because if we assume that d = E^4, then we have 9 - E^4 < x < 9. This means that 9 - E^4 - x < 0 < 9 - x. Then 9 - x < E^4 < 9 - x + E^4.

Then you have the algebra: since |(9 - x)^(1/4)| < E, then |9 - x| < E^4 in order for the limit to be true. We've found a delta such that this is true, so our proof is complete.

Thank you both so much for explaining it for me! I understand why it works now. There were no good examples in the textbook, so I can use this as a guide for similar problems.

1. What is a left hand limit?

A left hand limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from the left side of the number line. It is represented by the notation lim┬(x→a^−) f(x) and is used to determine the value of a function at a specific point where the function may not be defined.

2. How do you prove a left hand limit?

To prove a left hand limit, you must show that the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches a given point from the left side. This can be done by using the definition of a limit, which states that for a function f(x) and a value a, the left hand limit of f(x) as x approaches a is equal to L if for every ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that |f(x) - L| < ε whenever 0 < a - x < δ.

3. What is the difference between a left hand limit and a right hand limit?

A left hand limit and a right hand limit are similar concepts that describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. The main difference is the direction from which the input approaches the value. A left hand limit is when the input approaches from the left side of the number line, while a right hand limit is when the input approaches from the right side. This can result in different values for the limit.

4. Why is proving a left hand limit important?

Proving a left hand limit is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point. This can help us understand the behavior of the function as a whole and make predictions about its values. It is also essential in calculus, as it is used to define the derivative of a function.

5. Can a function have a left hand limit but not a right hand limit?

Yes, a function can have a left hand limit but not a right hand limit. This occurs when the function approaches a different value from the left side compared to the right side. In this case, the limit does not exist, and the function is said to have a "jump" or a discontinuity at that point.