1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove A Left Hand Limit

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Proove the statement using the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex] definition of a limit.

The limit of x as it approaches 9 from the left side of the x axis is [tex]\sqrt[4]{9-x}[/tex]=0

2. Relevant equations

The limit of x as it approaches a from the left side of the x axis is f(x) = L

if for every number [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0 there is a number [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that if

a-[tex]\delta[/tex]<x<a then |f(x)-L|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

9-[tex]\delta[/tex]<x<9 and |[tex]\sqrt[4]{9-x}[/tex]-0|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Using algebra, I've worked my way to |9-x|<[tex]\epsilon^{4}[/tex]. I'm not sure where to go with it now. Do I subtract the 9 over and then change the sign of x, ending up with |x|>-[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex]+9 ? That doesn't seem right to me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2
    You can pick delta=episilon^4 and you are done.
  4. Aug 31, 2010 #3
    That's great! However, I don't know why it's OK to stop there. Would anyone be kind enough to explain?

More specifically, why can I stop at |9-x| and how do I work my way back to verify that [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex] can be substituted for [tex]\delta[/tex]?
  5. Aug 31, 2010 #4
    You can stop there because this is the precise definitionof a limit. We say limit as x approaches a f(x)=L if
    When|f(x)-L|< episilon then |x-a|< delta.

If your case a=7 and delta = episilon^4.

Too lazy to use latex of my phone, sorry!
  6. Aug 31, 2010 #5
    I believe it's because if we assume that d = E^4, then we have 9 - E^4 < x < 9. This means that 9 - E^4 - x < 0 < 9 - x. Then 9 - x < E^4 < 9 - x + E^4.

Then you have the algebra: since |(9 - x)^(1/4)| < E, then |9 - x| < E^4 in order for the limit to be true. We've found a delta such that this is true, so our proof is complete.
  7. Aug 31, 2010 #6
    Thank you both so much for explaining it for me! I understand why it works now. There were no good examples in the textbook, so I can use this as a guide for similar problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook