1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a limit doesn't exist

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data does not exist.

Prove that the limit as x approaches 0 of 1/(x2+x3)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I have to prove that the absolute value of 1/(x2+x3) - L is greater than or equal to epsilon for some delta. What do I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The definition of limit says:
    [tex]\exists L, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0, \forall x \text{ s.t.} |x| < \delta: |f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/tex]
    where L is the supposed limit.

What is the negation of this?

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    The negation would be that the absolute value of f(x)-L is greater than or equal to epsilon. But how do I prove that there exists a delta for which that is true?

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    Why don't you just show that for all positive real numbers M, |1/(x^2 + x^3)| > M if x is taken sufficiently small?

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but you should take care with the quantifiers: the negation of
    [tex]
    \exists L, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0
    [/tex]
    is
    [tex]
    \forall L, \exists \epsilon > 0, \forall \delta > 0
    [/tex]

I was stressing this because I think it is important that you do not fall into such logical traps.

Of course, if you just want to solve the question, follow JG's advice :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook