Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a metric is bilinear

1. Jun 30, 2015 #1
    How could I proof this ##ds^2=cos^2(v)du^2+dv^2## is bilinear?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't even know what that is unless there's a metric involved. How do you define the the function that you want to prove is bilinear?

If this is a problem from a book or some kind of homework, we will need the full problem statement.

If it's just something you encountered in a book, then please tell us the name of the book, and where in the book you found it.

4. Jun 30, 2015 #3
    I translate it, it's in Italian. I've just solved it by myself.
    This is first fundamental form##ds^2=cos^2(v)du^2+dv^2## v∈(-##\pi##/2,##\pi##/2). Check it is bilinear, symmetric and positive.

5. Jun 30, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, if you solved it, then maybe you don't want to talk about it, but I'm curious how you made sense of the problem. A metric is bilinear by definition, and so is the first fundamental form. (I wasn't familiar with that term, but I just looked it up). So I don't see how to extract a function from your notation that needs to be proved to be bilinear.

If we're dealing with a metric, what you wrote can can be interpreted as a sloppy way of writing ##g=g_{ij}dx^i \otimes dx^j##. This is a formula that holds because of the bilinearity of the metric: For all u,v, we have
    $$g(u,v)=g(u^i e_i, v^je_j)=u^i v^j g(e_i,e_j) =u^i v^j g_{ij} =g_{ij} dx^i(u) dx^j(v) =g_{ij} dx^i\otimes dx^j (u,v).$$ This implies that ##g=g_{ij}dx^i\otimes dx^j.## How am I supposed to interpret what you wrote if not as ##g_{uu}=\cos v## and so on? I'm not sure that this interpretation makes sense if we don't already know that g is a metric, or at least that it's a bilinear form.

6. Jun 30, 2015 #5
    I'll try answering by smartphone. It is an exercise to show the student remember that first fundamental form is a tensorial product addition. I red in my note my professor 's idea, he showed as you do the tensorial product, furthermore he takes 2 general vector of the space and with an unusual notation he wrote (du^2+dv^2)(X,Y) with X,Y variables, after that du^2(X,Y)+dv^2(X,Y) using tensorial,product it become du(X)du(Y)+dv(X)dv(Y) and after he wrote Xand y as sum of components xi and ei, ei is the I element of the base.. A friend of mine told me that the reason would be clear in a master's course of the same professor. I used this notation and I took. (x+Y,Z) as variables, and because it I obviously bilinear, after long and boring count finished. By phone I hard to answer, I hope being clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook