Prove: (AB)*=A*B* Prove Matrix Conjugate Equality

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
In summary: I really, really hope that if a book uses the term "complex conjugate" for a matrix, it is referring to the matrix that I called the "adjoint".In summary, the statement (AB)*=A*B* can be proven by writing the matrix product as a summation and using the property (ab)*=a*b* for complex numbers. The correct notation for matrix multiplication in index form is (AB)ij=∑kAikBkj, and the adjoint of a matrix C is denoted by C* or Cji*.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that (AB)*=A*B*

Homework Equations

* = complex conjugate.
A,B = Matrices, A is an nxm matrix and B is a mxl matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, last problem on this large, lovely homework assignment.

I feel like there's two general ways this homework has gone.

Either 1) Use summation notation to look at elements of the matrices and find that the components on each side are equal.

OR
2) Use complex properties to prove the statements.

I want to use route 2) as it is easier and more beautiful.

But I've been staring at this, seemingly simple, statement for a while now and can't check my first move.
It seems like an obvious statement.

If I let C = AB, and say c is within the complex numbers.
Then C* = the conjugate of C.

But this isn't what I want to prove, methinks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would help to show first that you can write a complex matrix as a linear combination of real matrices, in analogy with what we can do with numbers.

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Show that (AB)*=A*B*

Homework Equations

* = complex conjugate.
A,B = Matrices, A is an nxm matrix and B is a mxl matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, last problem on this large, lovely homework assignment.

I feel like there's two general ways this homework has gone.

Either 1) Use summation notation to look at elements of the matrices and find that the components on each side are equal.

OR
2) Use complex properties to prove the statements.

I want to use route 2) as it is easier and more beautiful.

But I've been staring at this, seemingly simple, statement for a while now and can't check my first move.
It seems like an obvious statement.

If I let C = AB, and say c is within the complex numbers.
Then C* = the conjugate of C.

But this isn't what I want to prove, methinks.

Now you should write the matrix product as a summation. And then use that ##(ab)^*=a^*b^*## for complex numbers.

Likes RJLiberator
Oh man, that's an easy one!

You write the summation out, and use the fact that you are now dealing with real numbers and can use that property and boom!

How do you write summation notation in this scenario?

Here's what I did:

1. [itex]\left( \sum_{k=0}^m(a_{ij}b_{ij})^*\right)[/itex]
2. [itex]\left( \sum_{k=0}^ma_{ij}^*b_{ij}^*\right)[/itex]
3. =(a*b*)_ij
4. = A*B*

Step 1 is component notation
Step 2 is property of complex numbers
Step 3+4 bring it home.

RJLiberator said:
Oh man, that's an easy one!

You write the summation out, and use the fact that you are now dealing with real numbers and can use that property and boom!

How do you write summation notation in this scenario?

Here's what I did:

1. [itex]\left( \sum_{k=0}^m(a_{ij}b_{ij})^*\right)[/itex]
2. [itex]\left( \sum_{k=0}^ma_{ij}^*b_{ij}^*\right)[/itex]
3. =(a*b*)_ij
4. = A*B*

Step 1 is component notation
Step 2 is property of complex numbers
Step 3+4 bring it home.

You are summing on an index, k, that isn't even in the expression you are summing. Look up the right way to express matrix multiplication in index form, ok?

Likes RJLiberator
Er, for some reason I did it right in my homework, but wrong on here. Probably too much focus on the latex.

K=1 to m.
a_ik
b_kj

RJLiberator said:
Er, for some reason I did it right in my homework, but wrong on here. Probably too much focus on the latex.

K=1 to m.
a_ik
b_kj

That's better.

Likes RJLiberator
Right, matrix multiplication is defined by ##(AB)_{ij}=\sum_k A_{ik}B_{kj}## and the adjoint is defined by ##(C^*)_{ij}=(C_{ji})^*##. (The asterisk on the right denotes complex conjugation. You may prefer the notation ##\overline C_{ji}##).

I'm not sure what most linear algebra books call the matrix that I called the adjoint, but I hope they don't call it the "complex conjugate", because that would be very misleading. C* denotes the transpose of the matrix that you get when you take the complex conjugate of each element of a matrix C.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What does the notation (AB)* mean in matrix algebra?

In matrix algebra, the notation (AB)* refers to the conjugate of the matrix product AB. It is also known as the complex conjugate transpose or Hermitian transpose.

2. How is the conjugate of a matrix product calculated?

The conjugate of a matrix product AB can be calculated by taking the transpose of the product and then taking the complex conjugate of each element. In other words, (AB)* = (B*)*(A*), where * represents the conjugate operation.

3. What is the significance of proving (AB)* = A*B* in matrix algebra?

Proving (AB)* = A*B* in matrix algebra is important because it shows that the conjugate operation distributes over matrix multiplication. This allows for simpler and more efficient calculations in complex systems involving matrices.

4. How can (AB)* = A*B* be applied in real-world situations?

The equality (AB)* = A*B* can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where complex systems are modeled using matrix algebra. It allows for more accurate calculations and predictions in these systems.

5. Is the conjugate of a matrix product always equal to the product of the conjugates?

No, the conjugate of a matrix product is not always equal to the product of the conjugates. It is only equal when the matrices involved are both square matrices with real elements. In other cases, such as when the matrices are rectangular or have complex elements, the equality does not hold.