Proving Divisibility Property: ab|ac implies b|c

• Thread starter SeanThatOneGuy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a proof involving integers and the concept of "divides." The individual is struggling with the proof and has received a hint from their professor, which has caused confusion. They have made some progress in their work so far, but are unsure of where to go next. The conversation ends with a question about the source of a specific equation.
SeanThatOneGuy
I'm really having trouble with this proof. at first I thought, oh easy the a's cancel then I realized I am proving that property so that was no help at all. Here is my work so far:

--snip--
Let a, b, and c be integers with a≠0.
If ab|ac, we know from the definition of "divides" that there is an integer k, such that ac=ab⋅k

Then (a - c⋅k) = 0 so k(a - b⋅k) = 0

Since we know that a≠0, then b|c.
--snip--

I'm pretty sure that I'm off the rails after "such that ac=ab⋅k" anyone care to help me? please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then (a - c⋅k) = 0 so k(a - b⋅k) = 0
Where did that come from?

ac=ab.k => c=b.k

I got a hint from the professor and it really threw me for a loop

--snip--
Then (�� - ��⋅�) = 0 so �(� - �⋅�)
--snip--

so, I was trying to make that form work.

ac-kab=0 therefore a(c-kb)=0. Since a≠0, c-kb=0 or b|c.

What does the statement "ab|ac" mean?

The vertical bar "|" represents "divides" in mathematical notation. So, "ab|ac" means that "ab divides ac". This means that there is an integer k such that ac = k(ab).

What does it mean if "b|c" is true?

If "b|c" is true, it means that there is an integer m such that c = mb. In other words, b is a factor or divisor of c.

How do you prove that "ab|ac" implies "b|c"?

To prove this statement, we need to show that if ab divides ac, then b divides c. We can do this by using the definition of divisibility and factoring out a common factor.

Since ab divides ac, there exists an integer k such that ac = k(ab). We can rewrite this as c = (ka)b. Since k and a are integers, ka is also an integer. Therefore, b divides c.

Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Yes, for example, let a = 3, b = 2, and c = 12. We can see that ab = 6 divides ac = 36, so ab|ac is true. And b = 2 divides c = 12, so b|c is also true.

Is the converse of this statement also true?

No, the converse of this statement is not necessarily true. The converse would be "If b divides c, then ab divides ac". This statement is not always true, as shown in the previous example where b = 2 and c = 12. In this case, b|c is true, but ab|ac is not true since 6 does not divide 36.