Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove by Beta and Sigma limit definition

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1
    Please any help.

Use the symbols [tex]\beta[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] definition of limit to prove that limit (x,y)[tex]\Longrightarrow[/tex](0,0)x+y/x[tex]\x^2[/tex]+y[tex]\y^2[/tex]=0

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 6, 2005 #3
    I think beta/sigma definitions are a 2D analogue to epsilon/deltas? I'm afraid I can't find any reference to them, you'll have to define them please.

5. Aug 6, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want to show that for a given [itex]\beta >0[/itex], you can find a number [itex]\sigma >0[/itex] such that when the distance from the origin of the point (x,y) is smaller than [itex]\sigma[/itex], then this implies that

[tex]\frac{x+y}{x^2+y^2}<\beta[/itex]

So we kinda want to find a function [itex]\sigma(\beta)[/itex].

The statement "the distance from the origin of the point (x,y) is smaller than [itex]\sigma[/itex]" is written mathematically as [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}<\sigma[/itex]

There are many solutions but here's a hint based on one:

Use the fact that [itex]x+y \leq (x^2+y^2)^2[/itex] coupled with the hypothesis [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}<\sigma[/itex] to define a function [itex]\sigma(\beta)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?