Proving ∑ j=1 through n, j(j+1)(j+2) . . . (j+k-1) with Induction

• Thread starter caseyd1981
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the producer is trying to prove that for all positive integers k and n, ∑ (j+k-1)!/(j-1)! = (n+k)!/(n-1)!(k+1)
caseyd1981
I need to prove this by induction and I'm lost on how to even start, help please?

Prove that for all positive integers k and n:

∑ j=1 through n, j(j+1)(j+2) . . . (j+k-1) = n(n+1)(n+2) . . . (n+k) / (k+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
caseyd1981 said:
I need to prove this by induction and I'm lost on how to even start, help please?

Hi caseyd1981! :smile:

Well, first it's a lot easier to read and quicker to write if you write it ∑ (j+k-1)!/(j-1)! = (n+k)!/(n-1)!(k+1)

To prove by induction, assume it's true for n,

then add (n+1+k-1)!/(n+1-1)! to both sides, and see what the right-hand side turns into :wink:

Oh wow! I see now! Thank you so much for helping me start this one off. One more question, may I ask what is k in this statement? The index is j through n, so what exactly is k?

Last edited:
famous for fifteen seconds …

Hi caseyd1981! :smile:
caseyd1981 said:

caseyd1981 said:
Oh wow! I see now! Thank you so much for helping me start this one off. One more question, may I ask what is k in this statement? The index is j through n, so what exactly is k?

o:) k is just an inoccent little constant o:) …​

a passerby whom the producer persuaded to stand in for a scene because he needed an extra :wink:

Alright, let's see. So what I need to prove is (n+1+k)!/(n+1-1)!(k+1)
Which, simplified is: (n+1+k)!/n!(k+1)

I add (n+1+k-1)!/(n+1-1)! to both sides and this is what my RHS becomes:

(n+k)!/(n-1)!(k+1) + (n+1+k-1)!/(n+1-1)!

Simplify:
(n+k)!/(n-1)!(k+1) + (n+k)!/n!

Factor each denominator to find common denominator:
(n-1)!(k+1) = (n-1)!(k+1)
And
n! = n(n-1)!

So the common denominator is n(n-1)!(k+1)

I must multiply the left fraction's numerator by n and the right fraction's numerator by (k+1):
n(n+k)!/n(n-1)!(k+1) + (n+k)!(k+1)/n(n-1)!(k+1)

The denominator simplifies to n!(k+1)

So now I have:
n(n+k)! + (n+k)!(k+1)/n!(k+1)

Hopefully I am on the right track here and have done everything correctly so far...
Now I am stuck on adding the numerator. I am thinking I have to do some factoring? Not quite sure..

ANd thank you SOOOO much for your help so far! :)

caseyd1981 said:

Factor each denominator to find common denominator:
(n-1)!(k+1) = (n-1)!(k+1)
And
n! = n(n-1)!

So the common denominator is n(n-1)!(k+1)

I must multiply the left fraction's numerator by n and the right fraction's numerator by (k+1):
n(n+k)!/n(n-1)!(k+1) + (n+k)!(k+1)/n(n-1)!(k+1)

The denominator simplifies to n!(k+1)

So now I have:
n(n+k)! + (n+k)!(k+1)/n!(k+1)

hmm … this is rather long-winded …

try starting it

= (n+k)!/n!(k+1) (n + (k+1)) :wink:

1. What is the purpose of using induction to prove this statement?

The purpose of using induction is to provide a mathematical proof that shows the statement is true for all possible cases by using a step-by-step approach. This method is commonly used in mathematical proofs to establish a general rule.

2. How does induction work in this context?

Induction works by first proving that the statement is true for the base case, usually when n = 1. Then, assuming the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n, also known as the induction hypothesis, we can prove that it is also true for n+1. This completes the inductive step and establishes the statement as true for all possible values of n.

3. What is the base case for this statement?

The base case for this statement is n = 1, where we can easily prove that the statement holds true by directly substituting n = 1 into the formula and simplifying the expression.

4. How do we prove the inductive step for this statement?

To prove the inductive step, we assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n, and then use this assumption to show that it is also true for n+1. This can be done by substituting n+1 into the formula and simplifying the expression, using the induction hypothesis as needed.

5. Why is it necessary to prove the base case and inductive step separately?

It is necessary to prove the base case and inductive step separately because they serve different purposes in the inductive proof. The base case establishes that the statement is true for at least one value of n, while the inductive step shows that if the statement is true for one value of n, it is also true for the next value, and therefore true for all values. This combination of the base case and inductive step completes the proof by induction.