Prove by Induction: Un = 1/2(1 - 1/22^n)

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
Thank you for your patience!In summary, we proved by induction that the sequence {Un} defined by the recurrence relation Un+1 = 2Un(1-Un), n≥0, U0 = 1/4 can be represented as Un = 1/2(1 - 1/22^n). We used two parts of the proof by induction: assuming the formula is correct up to some n and showing it is true for n = N0. By substituting Un in the recurrence relation and simplifying, we were able to prove that the solution also works for Un+1.
lionely

Homework Statement

The sequence {Un} is defined by the recurrence relation

Un+1 = 2Un(1-Un), n≥0, U0 = 1/4

Prove by Induction that

Un = 1/2( 1 - 1/22^n )I'm sorry I didn't know how to type this any better the 2 is raised to the power of 2 and that 2 is raised to the power of n

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused, to prove this by induction won't I just need to put in n+1? If I put in n+1 it looks finished to me, I don't need to rearrange it to look a certain way... so putting n+1 in Un has proved it? Please guide me !

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof by induction is in two parts:
1. Assume the formula is correct up to some n. You cannot then simply substitute n+1 for n, since you're not assuming it's true for n+1 - that is what you need to prove. So use the formula with n and the recurrence relation to prove that the formula is also true at n+1.
2. You need to start the induction by showing it is true for some n = N0. Then you know it is true for all larger n.

Well I forgot to type I started off by Using Un for n=1 and 2 but I didn't use the recurrence relation because I was confused, as to why it was given to me when I could just use Un... but I'll try to use the recurrence relation then.

But I'm confused now I should have Un+1 = 2Un(1-Un)

substituting Un and I think Un+1 is equal to Un to n+1th term right?
so

1/2(1- 1/2^2^n) + (n+1) = (1- 1/2^2^n) (1- [1-1/2^n^n])

Does this make sense?

You know ##U_{n+1} = 2 U_n(1-U_n)## and ##U_n = \frac 12(1-2^{-2^n})##.
Use the second to substitute for Un in the first.
You need to deduce that the solution also works for Un+1.

So... put Un in the recurrence relation, and just simplify it until it looks like

##U_n = \frac 12(1-2^{-2^n+1})## ?

lionely said:
So... put Un in the recurrence relation, and just simplify it until it looks like

##U_n = \frac 12(1-2^{-2^n+1})## ?
Not quite. You need it to look like ##U_{n+1} = \frac 12(1-2^{-2^{n+1}})##. Note both differences from your version.

lol I meant to have the +1 up there but I'm not really familiar with the itex format if it's called that. I just copied yours and put the +1 . But Okay I think I get it now, I'll try to juggle it until it comes down to that. Thank you.

lionely said:
lol I meant to have the +1 up there but I'm not really familiar with the itex format if it's called that. I just copied yours and put the +1 . But Okay I think I get it now, I'll try to juggle it until it comes down to that. Thank you.

You don't need to use LaTeX/TeX; you can use parentheses instead, so the proposed value of u_{n+1} in plain text is (1/2)[1 - 2^(-2^(n+1))]. That is perfectly understandable and unambiguous.

1/2 (1-2^(-2^n)) (2^(2-2^n)+1) . I am stuck and this is what I ended up with.

lionely said:
1/2 (1-2^(-2^n)) (2^(2-2^n)+1) . I am stuck and this is what I ended up with.
Pace Ray, but I find that hard to read, so I'll write it in LaTex: ##\frac 12 (1-2^{-2^n}) (2^{2-2^n}+1)##
I don't see where the first 2 in 2-2n comes from.

I expanded (1-2^(-2^n)) (1/2+2^(-2^n+1)) and got something quite confusing so I tried factoring out a half.

lionely said:
I expanded (1-2^(-2^n)) (1/2+2^(-2^n+1)) and got something quite confusing so I tried factoring out a half.
In LaTex again:
##(1-2^{-2^n}) (\frac 12+2^{-2^{n+1}}) ##
It's confusing because it's wrong. Start again from ##2U_n(1-U_n) = 2 (\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))(1-\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))##. Simplify the second half first. If still a problem, pls post intermediate steps so we can see where the error is.

##2 (\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))(1-\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))##

= ##2 (\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))(\frac 12-\frac12 2^{-2^n}))##

= ##(1-2^{-2^n})(\frac 12-\frac12 2^{-2^n}))##

So should I now expand this?

lionely said:
##2 (\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))(1-\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))##

= ##2 (\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n}))(\frac 12-\frac12 2^{-2^n}))##
Sign error.

##(1-2^{-2^n})(\frac 12 + \frac12 2^{-2^n}))##

so try to expand and simplify this?

lionely said:
##(1-2^{-2^n})(\frac 12 + \frac12 2^{-2^n}))##

so try to expand and simplify this?
Yes. If you rewrite as ##\frac 12(1-2^{-2^n})(1+ 2^{-2^n}))## you might notice something interesting which will make expansion a little easier.

oh it's a difference of two squares. Thanks I got the answer now.

1. What is the purpose of proving by induction?

The purpose of proving by induction is to show that a statement or formula is true for all possible values of a variable, typically a positive integer. This is done by proving that the statement is true for the first value of the variable, and then showing that if it is true for any given value, it must also be true for the next value. This process is repeated until it is shown to be true for all values of the variable.

2. What is the general process for proving by induction?

The general process for proving by induction involves three steps:
1. Prove that the statement is true for the first value of the variable.
2. Assume that the statement is true for any given value of the variable.
3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next value of the variable.
By repeating this process, we can show that the statement is true for all possible values of the variable.

3. How does proving by induction work?

Proving by induction works by using the principle of mathematical induction, which states that if a statement is true for the first value of a variable and is also true for the next value whenever it is true for any given value, then it is true for all values of the variable. This principle is used to show that the statement is true for all possible values of the variable by repeatedly applying the assumption that it is true for any given value to show that it is also true for the next value.

4. Why is proving by induction important in mathematics?

Proving by induction is important in mathematics because it allows us to establish the truth of statements and formulas for all possible values of a variable. This is especially useful in areas of mathematics such as number theory and combinatorics, where we need to show that a statement is true for infinitely many values. It is also a fundamental tool in the construction of proofs and is used in many mathematical proofs and arguments.

5. How is the formula Un = 1/2(1 - 1/22^n) proved by induction?

The formula Un = 1/2(1 - 1/22^n) can be proved by induction by following the general process for proving by induction. First, we prove that the statement is true for the first value of n, which is typically n = 1. Then, we assume that the statement is true for any given value of n. Using this assumption, we can show that the statement is also true for the next value of n, which is n+1. By repeating this process, we can show that the statement is true for all possible values of n, thus proving the formula by induction.